Rear disc Brakes on 8 3/4

-
i would definitely be down for a set if you can figure out an ebrake solution.

bruce said:
bought the calipers from Canadian Tire on sale, they
come with the brackets and all the hardware with it. So I bought the
flexible brake lines for a 94 Mustang while I was at it. So, I used
the little brackets on the lines and shortened them so I could secure
them to the axle housing with a bolt that I welded on there. then I
used a regular 3/16 line that connects correctly to the flexible hose
to the body of the car. On the other end of the brake line I got a
brake fitting from Autochoice that fit the internal of the Mustang
line but has the hole for a 3/16 line. Tadaaaaa. I looks good, I
think. I decided to grind the inside of the rotor since it actually
ground of really easily, now it fits the axle well, saved me from
going to the machine shop. I'm doing all this on an axle housing that
I have from a 69 Roadrunner, much wider but it may work out okay with
the wheels etc (my brother had it in his Duster a long time ago). I
will keep you posted as I progress.

thought i should copy and paste for others that may be interested.

These brackets are for the regular base model calipers. The rotor diameter is 10.865

I have never tried the brackets with the 11.25 rotors, but if the math is correct there should be a minor change by moving the mounting holes out .1925 inch from the base model brackets.

The cobra calipers are a bit harder to find in any salvage yard for the core charges. I believe i was quoted for the base model calipers a $90 core charge for a $120 caliper.

Just checking to make sure I am getting the correct rotors to work with your brackets. Information I am finding shows that the front Mustang rotors are 10.865 and the rear rotors are 10.51. Should I keep looking?

I stuck a bit at this point
Caliper is behind the axle in 3 or 9 o clock position and is hitting the leave spring with the spring of the emergency brake.

I stuck a bit at this point
Caliper is behind the axle in 3 or 9 o clock position and is hitting the leave spring with the spring of the emergency brake.

Here's the picture he sent me. Looks like when I install my rear end I will have the same issue. Taking mine setup all apart to re-examine everything

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 341
I went with Intrepid front rotors, metric GM calipers and Speedway brackets with popular GM front hoses....

I will have to double check mine but I believe that caliper is on the wrong side

The calipers are marked left and right so the way they are orientated with the mounting bracket, the spring will be in contact with the rear springs. Buschi sent me a couple of pics on how he had to redrill mounting holes. I'll post them shortly

Here's the pics Buschi sent me after he re-drilled one of the brackets so there would be no interference with the leaf springs and calipers

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_6183.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 305
I have been using the same template since the beginning. This is the first time I have run into this problem after over 100 sets. Yes the calipers are on correct like mine.
I am confused why it is not right on his setup. Something has to be different

I have been using the same template since the beginning. This is the first time I have run into this problem after over 100 sets. Yes the calipers are on correct like mine.
I am confused why it is not right on his setup. Something has to be different

When assembled, mine would have the same problem as he did with the caliper spring hitting the leaf spring. If calipers were swapped from side to side, then the bleeder would be on the bottom. If the springs were relocated, then there would be no problem. However, looks like he did not relocate his springs and neither will I be doing it. Maybe you can post a close-up pic of how yours are orientated for both brackets and caliper.

I looked closer at mine today and since I relocated the springs I can see that they could hit the spring. My setup would not but it was close. I will now modify the jig so it is corrected for future buyers.
Thanks for bringing this up as nobody has said anything was wrong or had any issues.

I looked closer at mine today and since I relocated the springs I can see that they could hit the spring. My setup would not but it was close. I will now modify the jig so it is corrected for future buyers.
Thanks for bringing this up as nobody has said anything was wrong or had any issues.

Yes, they would have hit the springs on his and will on mine unless I re-drill mine. I assume we're talking about the bracket that is bolted to the axle studs? What's the chance of getting a pair of the corrected brackets as I am not ready to install the rear end?

hm, a nice new pair of brackets.. :)

well, I have another Point while we are here. The bracket A which is the one bolted on the axle. It is Plasma cutted and I assume you drilled the holes first and cutted later? I am asking because the bracket is a little bent I saw as i was drilling new holes. Guess the heat from the Plasma cutter made that.
And I also had to open a bit the holes for the screws to Mount the other bracket for the caliper.

Yes, they would have hit the springs on his and will on mine unless I re-drill mine. I assume we're talking about the bracket that is bolted to the axle studs? What's the chance of getting a pair of the corrected brackets as I am not ready to install the rear end?
I pm'd you about the brackets.

it is cut out with a torch now to ease some of the cost. There is possible warpage. I used to machine every single piece but it was starting to drive up the cost too much so i changed gears many many brackets ago. If the torch is set perfectly i can get a hacksaw looking cut.

Ok i just came home with a big chunk of steel. I will get to work on making up a few sets of these adapters for people.

I will supply the brackets and some hardware for the brackets and the buyer will supply the rest (ie calipers and caliper bracket) from a 94-2004 Ford Mustang (non cobra) These calipers fit in my 15" dog dish steel rims. Everything can be bought from NAPA, but if wanting to save a bit of cash there are core charges for the calipers or you can rebuild them yourself. Just a bit of salvage yard diving
I am asking $120 for the brackets.

Are you still selling these?

Will this kit fit an 8&1/4 rear ? The backing plates for an 8&1/4 drum brake setup are the same bolt pattern as an 8&3/4.

Will this kit fit an 8&1/4 rear ? The backing plates for an 8&1/4 drum brake setup are the same bolt pattern as an 8&3/4.

I just looked at my 8.25 to compare it to my 8.75. i don't believe it will fit the 8.25; I'd probably go with the Hrand Cherokee disc conversion on the 8.25 (which is what I'm doing with this axle.

My 10" drum backing plates off a 7&1/4 bolted right up to an 8&3/4" no problem. It looks like the 8&1/4 is the same pattern and spacing though it only uses 4 bolts instead of 5.

If so this kit may be able to be used on an 8&1/4.

Anybody have a set of 7&1/4 BBP or 8&3/4 backing plates they can test fit on an 8&1/4 ?

I am prob gonna go with an 8&1/4 for now as i dont have all the pieces for an 8&3/4. But if its something thats swappable.

My 10" drum backing plates off a 7&1/4 bolted right up to an 8&3/4" no problem. It looks like the 8&1/4 is the same pattern and spacing though it only uses 4 bolts instead of 5.

If so this kit may be able to be used on an 8&1/4.

Anybody have a set of 7&1/4 BBP or 8&3/4 backing plates they can test fit on an 8&1/4 ?

I am prob gonna go with an 8&1/4 for now as i dont have all the pieces for an 8&3/4. But if its something thats swappable.

Matt - I've got some 8.75 plates I can check on the 8.25. I will also check the fit of this disc brake set up and see what happens. I am waiting on a set of revised brackets for my 8.75 so the calipers won't be touching the springs

-
Back