Rear disc brakes worth it?

-

DERICKS

Reaction score
Mostly street some strip Duster and I'm thinking about light weight rear disc brakes. Are they worth it? Is the weight savings over the stock drums worth it? Will they cause more friction that the stock drums? What do you think? Anybody ever install them and see a performance improvement from them?

I had a whole "gaggle"
of Buick Grand Nationals coming in my shop in the late '80's early '90's(turbo V6,some were intercooled)They all ran at least low 12's,some ran autocross or other "road course" type events.They ALL had drums in the rear and I never had any complaint about the way any of them stopped!
For most applications I think they are an unneccessary overrated pain in the ***.Put disks on the front and spend your money elswere.
Chuck

I have a set of brackets from Scarebird if your interested in doing the swap.

If you were rich or runnin heads up and needing every weight avantage--go for it

seen this asked before on other sites and most guys even the guys selling the rear disc say they don't really help too much over a good working set of drums... i'm still gonna go rear disc one of these days though

We will go for rear discs just for the looks:-\":-\"
I dont think we will notice a difference compared to good drum brakes, but it looks better...

I realize this doesn't have much to do with this thread so I apologize in advance.

I installed a set of 1994-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disk brakes on my Dart Sport. It was cheap ($200.00 with new lifetime warranty pads from Advance Auto Parts) and was pretty much a bolt on deal. All you need to do is enlarge the center bore in the backing plate a bit which is easy with a dremel or die grinder. Only takes a few minutes per side.

My main reason for the swap was because drum brakes are expensive. I would have needed to buy new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and the harware kits. It would have cost $$$ to reinstall the drum brakes. When looking at getting new 11" finned drums the entire new set-up was around $450.00. The 10" finned drum set up was still around $300.00. For that kind of money there was noway I was putting drum brakes back on. With drum brake vehicles now in the past, the prices are only going to rise and parts will get harder to find. Maybe this is just how I justify to myself.
Personally I'll take swapping a rotor & pads now and then over drum brakes any day of the week.

I like mine......... a lot. Easy to install. Stop hard. Lighter. Easy maintainence. Not that much more than stock, IF, you're replacing everything. I'll never go back to drum. My .02.

-
Back