Rear Drums Lock before Fronts??

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Does that sound strange? I have drums all around, and the back tires lock up under medium-hard braking (I was testing it in a safe place).

I have not taken anything off and inspected it yet, but I would appreciate a little direction until my FSM gets here...

Not sure, I was just posing it to the masses, I have not even taken the wheels off and pulled the drums yet. Just wanted to know what others have experienced....and I know drums suck.

I had to put 7/8" rear wheel cylinders and a proportioning valve on mine to get rid of that problem. Order rear wheel cylinders for a '72 Dodge D100 2WD pick up. My car originally had 15/16" rear wheel cylinders which was way too much pressure on the rear shoes.

Given that the system was probably engineered in 1965, I'm not suprised at the rear bias. It was pretty common back in the day. The thinking appears to have been that if it's a five passenger car, let's design the brake bias for five passengers. Although adding weight to the rear of the car helped this problem, it also made the brakes fade more quickly.

..................U could have gear oil on them or lots of brake dust on them, may need a good cleaning.............kim..............

-
Back