Rear end and Transmission rust

-

Andre68

Reaction score
Well I managed to pull out the rear end the other day and I already had my transmission out. The transmission, I plan on rebuilding, the rear end though, I plan on doing a little bit too it and then putting it back in and if it works cool, if not, well no I know it needs fixing (car wasn't running when I bought it).

So what I did was spray them both with oven cleaner, let them sit for like a day and then I had at it with my pressure washer. I can now see the 3rd member lol, it used to just be a object of grime and dirt haha

The only thing I noticed was that it seems to have alot of surface rust on it, I cant repaint it how it looks now.

How do I clean it? Do I just sandblast all of it? or is there another way? thanks!

Im attaching some photos.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 3.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 116
Use POR 15's Metal Ready after it is completely degreased. It will eat all the rust and leave a zinc phosphate coating on the clean steel until you paint it shortly afterward. Prime it,sand it to remove pitting and then paint it.

Use POR 15's Metal Ready after it is completely decreased. It will eat all the rust and leave a zinc phosphate coating on the clean stell until you paint it shortly afterward. Prime it,sand it to remove pitting and then paint it.
x2 but if I was to blast it I wouldent use sand maybe walnut or glass.

-
Back