rear end clunking.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
8 3/4 323 gear 489 case. all new timkin bearings, rebuilt sure grip+ clutches i have added 1 bottle of ford friction modifier,going straight no noise nothing, but turning left or right if clunks and clinks.is it because the clutches are garbing off and on.and thoughts.new 360 runs strong tho.

Is the axle end play adjusted correctly? Were the clutches soaked in oil before their install? How are the u-joints?

Is the axle end play adjusted correctly? Were the clutches soaked in oil before their install? How are the u-joints?
new joints dont know if the clutches were soak, axel end play done buy ear done it that way befor never had this befor.

worth a try

Hey Don,
If the rear is all new/recent it’s common for them to make odd noises and even make the car do odd things like shudder a little or even just strange small jolts we are not used to feeling with a one legged rear end.
Also, if you look on the modifier bottle you will notice one bottle really isn’t enough for how much oil that 8.75 holds.
I used two bottles and it made all the difference, but if you aren’t used to a sure grip you are still going to feel the occasional odd shudder in and out of corners that get your attention.

Snake, is this with the rear end FRESH? I know you said it's been rebuilt. If it's still fresh though, I agree with the figure eight recommendation. Doing that breaks the clutches in and allows them to kinda break the new surface so the gear oil and friction modifier can get soaked into them real good. Even after it's broken in, it's not uncommon at all to hear and feel the clutches breaking loose around turns, especially if it's a good tight unit.

Snake, is this with the rear end FRESH? I know you said it's been rebuilt. If it's still fresh though, I agree with the figure eight recommendation. Doing that breaks the clutches in and allows them to kinda break the new surface so the gear oil and friction modifier can get soaked into them real good. Even after it's broken in, it's not uncommon at all to hear and feel the clutches breaking loose around turns, especially if it's a good tight unit.

Ok already.
Do we really need to tell him twice? :D

Hey Don,
If the rear is all new/recent it’s common for them to make odd noises and even make the car do odd things like shudder a little or even just strange small jolts we are not used to feeling with a one legged rear end.
Also, if you look on the modifier bottle you will notice one bottle really isn’t enough for how much oil that 8.75 holds.
I used two bottles and it made all the difference, but if you aren’t used to a sure grip you are still going to feel the occasional odd shudder in and out of corners that get your attention.
well it was rebuilt last December,sat untill today so lets say its a virgin,

i will get another bottle of modifier, do you think i should put it up on jack stands and run it some?and it was rebuild last December.

i will get another bottle of modifier, do you think i should put it up on jack stands and run it some?and it was rebuild last December.
Up on stands won't help- you need to "work" the differential, thus doing the tight figure 8s. The differential needs to be "differentialling" (??)- turning one axle more than the other, working the lube and modifier into those clutches and breaking them in.

Up on stands won't help- you need to "work" the differential, thus doing the tight figure 8s. The differential needs to be "differentialling" (??)- turning one axle more than the other, working the lube and modifier into those clutches and breaking them in.
sounds like a plan but if i may did the factory some 50 years ago have to that.

Did you buy it "rebuilt"? OR you bought it and had it rebuilt? Werent you looking at buying one a while back from out west?
Fingers crossed.

I allways have a hard time pouring fluid in a diff, so i was thinking pour it in the vent hole, should work .

Use a funnel with a tube. Do the 8’s as the other guys said. Let me tell ya how hard it is not to just stand on the gas when doing the 8’s.... :rofl:

Last edited:
-
Back