Rear End Fluid

-

MB43

Reaction score
I've got an 8-1/4 with a Dana Spicer Track-Lock in it, with Auburn gears.

The cover leaks a bit, so there's a nice little puddle under the car. I'm hoping to blow the rear end up soon so I can replace it with something stronger, so I'm not looking to fix the leak. I do want to fill the rear up, though... What kind of fluid should I use?

If you are looking to blow it up soon then there is no better way than to let all the fluid leak out!! ;)

If you fill it up, the 8.25 is a fairly stout rear end so it may be awhile before you do blow it up!!

FWIW, I use Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic gear oil in my 8.25.

dgc333 said:
If you are looking to blow it up soon then there is no better way than to let all the fluid leak out!! ;)

It's gotta last for one more race weekend. Then I can break it. ;-)

If you fill it up, the 8.25 is a fairly stout rear end so it may be awhile before you do blow it up!!

The tubes are starting to twist, I have a feeling that one day a hard launch is gonna break them.

FWIW, I use Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic gear oil in my 8.25.

With a sure-grip type unit in it? And can I mix that with what's in there?

Mine is a sure-grip. The Mobil 1 bottle implys you do not need to add sure-grip additive but I put in 1/2 a bottle with the Mobil 1. I have no problems with shuddering.

You can mix all Mobil 1 synthetic products with conventional lubes, you just loose most of the advantages of having a syntetic lube. If you just want to top up for one more race I would just truck down to Wal-Mart and get what ever's on the shelf.

Please explain "The tubes are starting to twist". Are they slipping in the center section or actually twisting? I believe the tube itself is the same as the 8.75 rear end, they both are 3".

dgc333 said:
Mine is a sure-grip. The Mobil 1 bottle implys you do not need to add sure-grip additive but I put in 1/2 a bottle with the Mobil 1. I have no problems with shuddering.

You can mix all Mobil 1 synthetic products with conventional lubes, you just loose most of the advantages of having a syntetic lube. If you just want to top up for one more race I would just truck down to Wal-Mart and get what ever's on the shelf.

I've got some Mobil 1 80W on the shelf that I used in my truck, I guess I could use that?

Please explain "The tubes are starting to twist". Are they slipping in the center section or actually twisting? I believe the tube itself is the same as the 8.75 rear end, they both are 3".

Where the tubes go into the center section it looks like one side isn't in the same position as it was when it left the factory. It's off by a little bit, and it looks like it's leaking a very little bit from that spot.

Mikel when do you plan on switching to a 8-3/4" I may have a housing I can sell you. Drop me a PM.

I'm going to have a complete A-body 8 3/4 W/SG 3.23s come this winter when I change the rear to the narrowed one. Drum to drum. Well, I might keep the center section or I might not.

It Does Sound Like Your Housing Is Maybe Bent.i Had The Same Problem With My 8 3/4.i Found Someone On E-bay That Builts 8 3/4's On A Jig.great Product And Great Commiuncation With The Guy.if Your Interested Pm Me And I'll Send You His E-mail.price Was Very Good Also
Terry

-
Back