rear end lube question

-

terry

Reaction score
hi folks what may be the way to go on the rear end oil for a 8 3/4 limited slip? there must be something out there that eliminates the use of the special mopar additive to the oil.

you always want to use the additive, the ford stuff is said to be good, i'm changing mine to Torco 85/140 with one bottle of the ford juice.

90 weight with friction modifier from Ford is good. What's wrong with using additive? Not gonna be like you're changing it even every year.

Does strange things without the additive , I have used ford crap before but had some strange noises , switched back to the old mopar additive , no more noise . Using the clutch type limited slip .

Lucas synthetic gear oil products already have the additive in them or you can buy it separately. Can't beat Lucas Oil!!

Attachments

• 20140903_170719.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 261
I would say read Lucas, their webpages or packaging. Some synthetics wont blend with conventional. If that is the case you would need to totally flush the housing for the change over.
If I was building a all new rear, and there was a simple effective way to flag it "synthetic only" I would consider it.
Then there is the issue of periodic repeat dose of additive. How and what for a repeat dose where Lucas is used ?
To stay with conventional and dump the friction modifier in with it stays true to the vehicles vintage. All just my thoughts on the subject.

I use synthetic , not lucas , but additive is still needed . It's not like you change the fluid often .

Isn't the friction modifier only for clutch type suregrips? To cure chattering frictions? I was told not to use it with my cone suregrip because it could cause slippage. I've never added it and never had any issues.

Isn't the friction modifier only for clutch type suregrips? To cure chattering frictions? I was told not to use it with my cone suregrip because it could cause slippage. I've never added it and never had any issues.

It is designed to cause slippage, doing exactly this (To cure chattering frictions?) I know that doesn't make sense, but if the clutches didn't slip they would wear prematurely.

The pressure from the applied force overcomes the slippage when needed.

I use Mobil 1 full syn with a limited slip fluid.

Need to use it with a cone also

I always used the additive except IIRC with the Redline synthetic which I believe also has it in it already.

I used the Amsoil and the limited slip additive from Ford. I heard that it's the same as the mopar stuff.

Any GL-5 should work without additive. But if chatter is an issue, a tube "equa-torque" should be available at any parts store.

-
Back