Rear end noise ?

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well i just took the Dart out for a road test after installing an 8 3/4 323 sure grip clutch type.It has a noise kind of like a 4 speed wine if you know what i mean,when coasting, but with my foot into it nothing.The axles had new bearing 2000 miles ago,newly installed U joints so one would thing thats not my problim,the last pig had no noise.This pig sat all winter with no gear oil.it has new 75/90 gear oil and ford friction modifier now.Any thoughts did i buy junk. I guess i could turn up the tunes and drown it out lol.

do you still have your original 3.23 open pig?
Maybe install the sure grip on it.

do you still have your original 3.23 open pig?
Maybe install the sure grip on it.

Ya still do but not sure what to make of the noise,the guy i bought it from said it was rebuilt 3 years ago, and was a member here,O he said it was a buddys pig not his.:banghead:buyer be were.Also said in his add its a good one just drop in and go.

Lots of time gears will not whine under power, but will whine upon deceleration. Probably just need to live with it. You're gonna be on the throttle more than decel anyway.

That's just a guess, but it's a common issue especially if the gears were installed used. Just be glad you don't have it when on the throttle, that could get annoying real quick.

Its hard for the uneducated/unexperienced eye to look @ a used ring & pinion to tell if its going to be noisy or not. A careful study of the teeth & some gear paint may give a clue bit its still hard to tell. most will howl around 38-47 mph ir seems. 1st set of 3.23's i took a hance on,sure enough wine @ 40 on light accel. Next set i learned from it the 1st one. & are quite. first set i even replaced all the bearings & set b/l to what it was before i installed new bearing's.

Ya I am not a fan of switching this back and fourth.

I don't find sliding under the car and changing gears easy anymore but i'm still going to take the 3.55's out of the Dart and put the 3'23's back in
Those 3.55's spin too hi for me.

My brand new Richmonds whine on decel. Shop that put it together said it needed shimmed or something on the coast side to eliminate the whine. I haven't taken it back it to get it fixed though.

So is it safe to drive,moneys are tight,we are hoping to make Mopar Fest this year,the drive is far.

Had her out for a good spin today,I could barely hear it i think it just need to get LUBE up.thanks for your thoughts gang .:coffee2:

The paint never lies.
Once a whiney set has a few miles on it, it will likely whine forever, or at least longer than the vehicle it was put in.
If you can read the pattern, swapping stuff around is a non-issue.

The paint never lies.
Once a whiney set has a few miles on it, it will likely whine forever, or at least longer than the vehicle it was put in.
If you can read the pattern, swapping stuff around is a non-issue.

Thanks I will live with it for now,winter comes to fast will deal with it than.

Under load the noise goes away. No load the noise is there. Correct? Please check the torque of your pinion nut. Remember that torque spec is up to 170' pounds.

If the pinion nut torque is correct, then the pinion gear depth is incorrect. If it is not terrible and you can live with it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

-
Back