Rear end noise

-

edbux

Reaction score
I've got an 8 3/4 non suregrip with 3.23 gears. After a burnout in the local Home Depot parking lot which included some wheel hop, I now have a noise coming from the rear. Sounds like axle bearings to me. The perplexing part, at least to me, is that when the rear is jacked up, the noise isn't there.

Any suggestions before I start ripping things apart? I did buy the whole rear end used and put maybe 50 miles on it before this happened. Didn't change anything but the brakes and gear oil.

Any and all advice will be appreciated

I have problems with a noisy rear also
Southpark.gif
Sorry couldn't resist!

Sure it's not the universals?

:fart:
Tony, the rear end problem you're experiencing is 'universal'. :angel9:

edbux: Is the original problem rear end a sure grip or a peg leg? It might be a bearing, but they usually go slowly over a period of time, not just start making noise after a smokey. Is there a lot of free play in the diff?

I 100% agree and looks like was beat to the punch, it's your universals.

Too much fibre.....?????

Bearings generally don't break, they usually whowl over time.

If the noise your referring to is more of a clunk...your gonna have to open it up unless you broke a spring or shock mount etc.????

Jim

DSC09537.JPG

need a little more info ....is it a whine? or a snapping noise ? ...or a clunk? is it there when you accell or decell?

OUTLAW said:
need a little more info ....is it a whine? or a snapping noise ? ...or a clunk? is it there when you accell or decell?

it's there on accel, cruising and decel, although it sounds louder on decel.
I'm ruling out, for now, ujoints since it's a new driveshaft with new joints.
It's an open ended rear, 3.23 gears.

Just because the U-joints are new, don't rule them out as a possible trouble source. If you jack it up on one side and try turning the rear wheel front then back with some authority, check for slack in the rear end and also in the U-joints. That should at least give you some more info to pass along so we can help troubleshoot a little better. :)

-
Back