Rear end Shortening

-
You kinda have to be carefull where you go. one way to find out and get a good recommendation is stop by your local hot rod/fab shop and see who they use. we have a customer of ours that builds all kinds of custom hot rods so one day when the owner came in to pay his bill i asked him. you can even sometimes get recommendations on the one guy in the shop who is the best to ask for.

i use a local machine shop they cut the axles, housing,I had to make sure eveything was clean 150$

A buddy of mine had a housing narrowed to A-body specs. by Mosier and they got the ends so close to the spring perches that he can not get his U-bolts on the outside.

I Did My Own Housing And Bought Axles....was Big Pain In Arse!!...unless You Are Wanting To Go Narrower Than An A-body You Would Be Better Off To Hunt A Rear Down Already Done Or Find A Machine Shop That Can Do It Locally As Shpg Can Get Expensive Quick, As Far As Having Axles Shortened[factory Ones] I Wouldnt Waste My Time And Efforts/money On Them When You Can Buy New Ones For Around $220 Pr And Up....[aftermarket Stock Lengths] Or Contact Dr Diff For Axles, I Got Mine From Mitchells Differentials..dan Mitchell Is A Super Nice Guy To Deal With, He Does Alot Of The Big Names Axles And Did My Custom Axles Loaded With Green Bearings,1/2'' Studs Etc....saved 90 Bucs By Going To Him Direct Over Moser And Mancini...........just Do A Search For Mitchells Differential On Net.......on Housing You Can Reuse Your Ends, Just Cut Off At Factory Weld[about 3 1/2''--4'' From End] Have Machine Shop Turn Or Bore Out Where Its Cut-off To 3'' Diameter Inside About 3/4''-1'' Depth....then Cut Housing Tubes To Desired Length,remember To Allow For Tubes To Be Slid Into Ends,will Be A Tight Fit, May Have To Sand/grind Tube Ends To Fit But Dont Take To Much Off, You Want Them Tight So You Have To Tap Them On, There Is Alot More Tech To This Procedure,keeping It Square And Proper Alignment, Then There Is The Spring Perches That Have To Be Set And Welded With Proper Angle, By Reusing Your Factory Ends With Weld End Bored Out So Tube Can Slid In Makes For A Better Fit And More Factory Looking, Easier And Stronger Weld And You Dont Have To Improvise For Axle Seals Like The Aftermarket Ends Which Are Just Butt Welded And Have No Provisions For Axle Seals As They Are Too Short.....this Has Been My Experience....so Unless You Have The Access To The Right Tools/welder And The Skills Needed To Accomplish It, Find One Already Done Or Have Someone Do It For You, Just Make Sure They Know What They Are Doing....i Have Been Seeing Alot Of Good Deals On A-body Rears In The Price Range Of 200-400 Bucs For Housing/axles.....one Had It Complete With Backing Plates And Drums With An Empty 489 Case Included For 200 Bucs And The Axles Were Aftermarket With Green Bearings/studs....was A Real Deal....

The housing isn't an issue but shortening the b-body axles is. The shaft is tapered just past the splines so they can't be resplined. You'll need aftermarket axles.

splines.jpg

-
Back