Rear end swap

-
Wait a second here. Are you talking the same rear end?
7 1/4 to 7 1/4 yes
7 1/4 to 8 1/4 no
C

Then you'll need different shock mount plates and u-bolts since the 8 1/4 has bigger axle tubes on it. Just did this swap this summer on the son's Duster. Found some aftermarket plates and u-bolts but if you can find OEM ones it would be better. The shock mount plates and u-bolts from another 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 should work. If I'm incorrect, please correct me.

You'll also need to shorten your driveshaft or get one from a car that has the same drivetrain as your installing.

So, it looks to me like if the Dart Swinger is a two door with the same transmission that you have... if you get the drive shaft, rear end, shock plates with U bolts you will be good to go.

In the absence of all the parts above, your driveshaft can be shortened. There is a good place off Jimmy Carter Blvd that I used last summer. You "can" also use your 7 1/4" shock plates, but will have to ream the holes out to fit. As to U bolts, I think Summit carries them pretty cheap (and the driveshaft shop I mentioned above may have them also.

Good luck with it. It's a good swap if your future plans include more hp.
C

And again we have conflicting info. I think the difference of 1&5/8 is the 8&3/4 rear.

There is still one more option... Somebody makes spring hangers that set the rear end one inch back and 3/4 inch in. Benifits are deeper back set wheels, larger diameter tires, stock drive shaft fits.
The differ5erence between the 7.25 and 8.25 rears is actually 1&1/4 inches but an inch is close enough in my opinion.
This might not be the best option for your car though. Just depends on what you want to build.

Redfish could be right. I had a friend do a 8.25 swap and I am pretty sure he took 1 5/8 off but I could be wrong.

If the 7 1/4 is the small bolt pattern version, you'll need wheels too.

Ya sorry, I guess I should have dug a little deeper. Shock plates definitly, drive shaft will need to be shortened.

-
Back