Rear gear help

-

DUSTPAN340

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place for this question....but...I'm putting in a 416 stroker with a 4 speed behind it...just wondering what gear with Sure Grip should I go with.I have a 8.75 rear with a 489 case..will be driving the car somewhat to shows that are freeway driving away..and some crusing..but if someone pulls aside and wants to play..want to make sure I'm good to go as well...any suggestions would be helpful

thanks....wayne

How often will you drive it?

At what speed will it mostly be driven (Highway? City?)

How concerned are you with fuel milage?

With that said...... I am damn happy with the 3.91s and 26" tire I run.

city driving..tops will be 45....freeway..i hit 60 now...in the back im running 255/50/17 tires....gas...really not a problem..we drive no matter what..

thanks ^^^^

3.55 or 3.91 depending on how much highway driving you want to do.

if you wanna drive it and still get ok mpg do 3.55's if you dont care about cost rip it up with 3.91's or if you wanna have real fun get 4.30's

its a stroker, I would use 3.55 or even 3.23

4.30's would be great in a 340

but then you say you go 60 mph only on the freeway's, well then 3.91 would work well. I go 75 mph and its a steady 4,000 rpm's...little 340 seems very happy cruising at that speed or quicker but 3,000 rpm is more pleasant but I can't drive 55

I had 3:91 gears in a RR before, I wouldn't go any higher than that if I had to make a change on a street car. Being a stroker engine w/4 gear, I would agree with what the others sugested, 3:23 or 3:55s.

Speeds are pretty quick now on the expressways, only reason you would want 3.55--3.23's, so you can stay with traffic going 70 to 80 mph for many miles.

4,000 rpm @ 75 sounds high but if I go W.O.T. in 3rd--too fast for 2nd gear, the car really isn't in the power range till after 80--85 mph, then it pulls really good, that is with 3.91's and 26.5 inch tires

with 3.23 gears @ around 70 mph you could shift in to 2nd gear and that gives 4.68 gearing--it fly past 75, LOL

with 3.23 the 1/4 et will be hurt bad vs 3.91's but once moving and in the right gear, it pull really well and it cruise the expressways nicely

you gotta decide whats more important, either have too much power taking off--where 90% you never floor it but are always ahead of traffic and the few times you do punch it you are still surprised how darn quick it is....3.91--4.10 gears

or a nice driver great for long distance driving and more economical to drive....and it still have a great punch at 65 mph in 2nd with 3.23 gears

you say gasoline costs no biggie but there is a noticeable difference between 12--13 mpg and 8 mpg..when $20 in gas is gone 40 miles vs 62 miles @ $4.00 a gallon

not that gas is not a BIGGIE..I just mean that gas has to go in anyways,....and I'm sure the gas milage on the DUSPAN will be around what my truck gets the way I drive..and we build our cars to drive....The Duster now just goes to some car cruises during the week..maybe 30 miles away the furthest...car shows on weekends..furthest maybe 60 miles.SHE has 3.23 gears now...but with the stroker..I would like to have a little more fun..
Just want the car to have some get up and go if I were to race it..I mean run it...so a gear that will have some driveablity and some get up...3.91 would be nice...3.73 would also...and 3.55 would be a good drive all around gear...CONFUSED....

I would see if you can take a ride in someone's car with 3:55's or whatever and see what you think.

Have you driven it with the 416 and 3.23s yet? If not give it a try at least. You are going to have a butt load of more torque so that 3.23 may feel fairly good.

Have you driven it with the 416 and 3.23s yet? If not give it a try at least. You are going to have a butt load of more torque so that 3.23 may feel fairly good.

not yet 1968FormulaS340...the 416 short block is just being shipped to me from Muscle Motors...Tring to get all my ducks in a row...when the car comes out..would like it done and not worry about playing with gears...I have been told this car will be a bear to drive ...nothing like my 340 now...I heard I will need depends on my first launch :burnout:

car is in the shop so we can start the engine transplant...but also doing gears...still confused on gear choice....3:55 or 3:91
latest change was the cam...went with a 570 lift roller...and most have seen my EFI six pack set up...

3.55s will give you plenty of go!! I say it's your best bet if you don't like/want to change center sections on a regular basis.

Your exhaust plays a role. I got quieter mufflers on it late this fall and was surprised to see the tach at 4,500 on the freeway cause it wasn't too loud at all. I was like I didn't know I was going so quick.

Since you drive the car only 30 miles max one way--but could that not change? Well if it is just 30 miles or less and your going to change the 3.23, I would go with 3.91's or 4.10's

60 mph isn't nothing, my 340 with 27 inch tires and 3.91's pull well past 100 mph to its safe 6,500 red line I set--got a rev limiter to stop me, lol

i would first drive with the 3.23's and see how it is first cause traffic moves so fast in some places. Took the 08 Saturn on a long road trip and got just 20 mpg cause I was going a little quicker then most--but did still get past a few times. Was going 80 to 90 most the way, seen not one car pulled over and just one cop car going the other way, he was flying also, lol, I think I was at 80 before tapping the brake and said oh no but he just whizzed on by .......but then other parts of the state its cops everywhere stopping cars going 76 in a 70 zone..you got to remember where you are at.

I have 3:23s in my barracuda and like them... it is not the quickest thing around but I think that is my tired 360 and going through 2" pipes and mufflers (never changed from the 318 that was in it). I did have 3:91s in it but did not like them, I went through the gears to quick and it did not seem to pull as hard... I would drive it with the 3:23s in it and see how you like it.

Your exhaust plays a role. I got quieter mufflers on it late this fall and was surprised to see the tach at 4,500 on the freeway cause it wasn't too loud at all. I was like I didn't know I was going so quick.

Since you drive the car only 30 miles max one way--but could that not change? Well if it is just 30 miles or less and your going to change the 3.23, I would go with 3.91's or 4.10's

60 mph isn't nothing, my 340 with 27 inch tires and 3.91's pull well past 100 mph to its safe 6,500 red line I set--got a rev limiter to stop me, lol

i would first drive with the 3.23's and see how it is first cause traffic moves so fast in some places. Took the 08 Saturn on a long road trip and got just 20 mpg cause I was going a little quicker then most--but did still get past a few times. Was going 80 to 90 most the way, seen not one car pulled over and just one cop car going the other way, he was flying also, lol, I think I was at 80 before tapping the brake and said oh no but he just whizzed on by .......but then other parts of the state its cops everywhere stopping cars going 76 in a 70 zone..you got to remember where you are at.

I have 2 1/2 inch going to flowmaster 44s...tires are around 26 1/2 I think..have to measure...but getting this car running in priority right now...and we are getting the gears this week now while the new leafs are being made...

-
Back