rear housing spacers

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I had purchased a pair of 1 1/2" spacers to try to get my tires higher into the wheel wells. Tonight I put them on to see how they fit and was wondering if anyone else has used spacers. Also the ones I got are aluminum and I have heard some are steel. Does this make any difference and when racing does it change or weaken the rear suspension.
Thanks
Rod

I assume you're talking about lowering blocks? That go between the housing and spring?

They're used pretty frequently, especially on trucks. They also get used on trucks as a lift kit because the axles are below the springs in a lot of cases. On our cars they're lowering blocks because the axle is above the spring. Typically you want to make sure that the block has a "button" like the spring does to locate the rear end housing, the better ones usually do. Aluminum isn't a big deal. You of course want to make sure that the u-bolts are long enough, and if you really get crazy with the blocks you may want to use larger diameter U-bolts.

As far as racing, the ideal situation is that you would have your springs arched to the ride height you wanted. The blocks add an additional moment arm between the axle and spring. Not a big deal if they're small, it can be an issue when they get bigger. But yeah, trucks use them all the time, and usually in much larger increments (4"+) for lift kits. But, they also typically use larger diameter u-bolts for the larger blocks to counter the increasing side loads.

1.5" is a pretty big drop for a car, what leaf springs are you running?

I assume you're talking about lowering blocks? That go between the housing and spring?

They're used pretty frequently, especially on trucks. They also get used on trucks as a lift kit because the axles are below the springs in a lot of cases. On our cars they're lowering blocks because the axle is above the spring. Typically you want to make sure that the block has a "button" like the spring does to locate the rear end housing, the better ones usually do. Aluminum isn't a big deal. You of course want to make sure that the u-bolts are long enough, and if you really get crazy with the blocks you may want to use larger diameter U-bolts.

As far as racing, the ideal situation is that you would have your springs arched to the ride height you wanted. The blocks add an additional moment arm between the axle and spring. Not a big deal if they're small, it can be an issue when they get bigger. But yeah, trucks use them all the time, and usually in much larger increments (4"+) for lift kits. But, they also typically use larger diameter u-bolts for the larger blocks to counter the increasing side loads.

1.5" is a pretty big drop for a car, what leaf springs are you running?

I just purchased the same 1 1/2" kit, came w/ cast iron (heavy) blocks, and heavier-longer u bolts. at least the weight will be over the rear wheels. also have 002-003 springs.

just bought 1.5" lowering blocks for our dart. the ones i got are billet alumn. supposed to be here today.... the car has espo +1" springs on it now and i can't stand how high it sits..

i like how the car sites with a loaded trunk... 22" to the wheelwell.. unloaded its 24" to the wheel well.. figure the 1.5" will get me to 22.5". a couple passengers and crap in the trunk should drop it the other 1/2 inch..

figure it will get me by until i replenish the toy fund and buy new springs for it..

here is how it sits now... 4x4 look..lol

DSC_0288.jpg

here is where i want it to sit.. already lowered the front when i did the front end..

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

Yes they do have the locating holes for the pin that is thru the spring and it is a very tight fit with no slop. As for the springs I am using the Super Stock 2800# springs and they lift the car a little high for my liking. I am trying to get a ride height similar to that that Abodyjoe has. I am sure as the springs settle the car will come down some as well. I just didnt know what if any difference it will make while drag racing and if the aluminum was as good as the metal ones. Mine came from summit. Also the Ubolts are new from mancini so I am good there.
Thanks
Rod

-
Back