Rear Independent Suspension? Anyone?

-

archlab

Reaction score
As usual, I've got another one for ya'll. I might be inheriting a 90's model BMW 7-Series & got to thinking:

I wonder how an Independent Rear End (IRE) would fare on an A-Body. I'm sure that the BMW Rear is just a playground for all kinds of compatibility issues, but maybe it...or an IRE from some other vehicle swaps well.

I mean, come on - If 'My Cousin Vinny' had one in what? A '64 Pontiac? then why not one of us?

Once again I axx - UDoneThis?

I b'lieve it's been done, maybe right on this board

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=69221

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVQf_X3kdLY"]1966 Dodge Dart IRS Autocross - YouTube[/ame]

Not IRS, but.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUhiCpyUl4"]Mopar A-Body Full-Tilt Track Test: Hotchkis Equipped '69 Valiant @ Willow Springs - YouTube[/ame]

My question would be why? Cool to fab stuff up, but irs is pretty complicated, and usally not as strong.... Would be differant for sure though...

Neat idea. In addition to IRS, you would likely get rear disk brakes. I have looked at the IRS on my Mercedes 300D's. The width might be about right and you can get the part real cheap in the JY. Of course the classic hot rodder's IRS is the older Jaguar.

It looks like the toughest part would be fabbing a support in the center of the body. I would imagine the rear for a diesel could handle ample torque. Adapting the driveshaft would probably be easy for a driveline shop. Not sure about getting wheels that fit the front too.

I thought My Cousin Vinny had a posi-lock rear rather than IRS, but I have been way wrong on movies before.

I thought My Cousin Vinny had a posi-lock rear rather than IRS, but I have been way wrong on movies before.

I think the killer's car had both. But I'll have to watch it again - good excuse to see Marisa Tomei !

I thought My Cousin Vinny had a posi-lock rear rather than IRS,

The cousins car was a ‘63 Buick Skylark with a live axel. The Bad guys were driving a ‘63 Pontiac LeMans sporting a rear transaxle, IRS, and PosiTrack or whatever PMD called it… This was the only year Pontiac used this design.

My question would be why? Cool to fab stuff up, but irs is pretty complicated, and usally not as strong.... Would be differant for sure though...

Well that depends on what you're doing. That 80s BMW stuff is pretty stout.

However, that said, i just don't see the point. just use the hotchkis stuff/green brick formula for a fun open track car.

Cool site. I'm taking the long, difficult road to IRS. I'm replacing my rear rails in a week and a half to clean things up and give me a better install.

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

file-55.jpg

Wow is right. swisswill, Can you give us some more info on your IRS build? I don't even know what the original was

see will, all the people who didn't know this was happening. i guess you need to have a few threads. breaking it down into seperate sections

just be careful not to brake those half shafts with IRS.

For all of you out there singing the blues over a sloppy Addco Anti Sway bar, HERE is what I did a year after installing an Addco front bar on my 1967 Dart. Since modifying the mounting, another season of driving has gone by with no loosening of the sway bar, and handling was improved over the Addco attachment method.

you should make your own thread for that. this one is about IRS, not front sway bars.

I was looking at the Jag assembly I have the other day. It would need to be narrowed for my early A body...

Nah I got enough to do already. Besides I would have to move several 9 inch fords to get at it.

Nice work Swisswill

B.

-
Back