rear leaf springs

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
anyone ran into new xhd rear leaf springs not allowing the rear shackle to sit straight or slightly angled to rear. mine are angling to the front? like too short of spring. aftermarket springs with supoosted to be 55" long... and direct fit of 67-76 a body mopar.... longer front spring hanger? before i take back appart looking into answers.... thanks all...

How much are they angled towards the front? You can shim the rear hangers where they bolt to the body forward and this will improve the angle.

Do you have the full weight of the car on the springs or is the rear hanging?

Sometimes (and I have seen this happen), when you lower the car to the ground, after a rear spring change, the rear shackle is near vertical as the spring starts to compress.

For whatever reason the shackle decided to angle forward instead of rearward.

Try jacking the car up again (by the body, not the axle). As you lower the car try to get the shackle to flip the right direction. Most likely a 2 person job.

You can hit it with a hammer, put a chain around it and have a friend keep rear pressure on it or whatever you need to do.

anyone ran into new xhd rear leaf springs not allowing the rear shackle to sit straight or slightly angled to rear. mine are angling to the front? like too short of spring. aftermarket springs with supoosted to be 55" long... and direct fit of 67-76 a body mopar.... longer front spring hanger? before i take back appart looking into answers.... thanks all...

Shoudl be 90 degrees or less to the datum line of the srping which is the installed eye to eye centerline. So it will always look angled to the rear of the car.

If you went with new springs or SS springs they have more arch. Hence a shrter distance eye to eye and change of angle. I'd drive it a bit, let them settle and shim hanger as aformentioned.

-
Back