Rear main seal

-

tkoboat

Reaction score
I am replacing the rear seal on my 340. What’s the best seal to use? Any other advise is welcomed.

Slightly offset the parting halves of the seal to the main cap's mating to the block. A tiny dot of silicone where the seals meet.

I've never in my life offset the seal halves. I do always put a dab of RTV on the seal ends and then assemble.

I don't think that you can offset the small block seal, not a Felpro anyway. Unless you cut the sides off. I just finished this on mine. The main cap does need a slight smear of sealer across it. I do mean slightly.

I don't think that you can offset the small block seal, not a Felpro anyway. Unless you cut the sides off. I just finished this on mine. The main cap does need a slight smear of sealer across it. I do mean slightly.
You guys a probably right about the offset. Been a while for me with a few chevys in between.

You could with the old rope seal. Not so easy with the neoprene ones.

I do that as well, a real light skim all the way out to the parting lines.

-
Back