Rear mount radiator?

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
I am running into a build issue. I have mocked up my big block with a front mount procharger and I am running out of room for my radiator.
I can either run 2 small econo rail style radiators with the procharger intake in the middle or use my current radiator in the back with my CSI remote pump with a high level fill to my crossover pipes to the engine.
Any of yall tried to pull this off? was thinking about mounting it between my frame rails above my ladder bars and building a type of scoop above to help funnel air in above my driveshaft.

At one time I was considering doing that too, on my streeter. I thought Id drop it into the spare tire well, and pull air in from the bottom, to exhaust out the trunk lid or something. Then I remembered seeing some small air scoops that I could mount on the qtrs or sail pnls . Then I could dump the hot air out the bottom.
In the end I got lazy and left the perfectly working oem system alone. I did not have a real estate problem.
So, pave the way!

I suppose you could just cut a big ol' hole in the rad, right where you need it, and make the tubes go around it! That would be the COOLEST.

The biggest problem to solve is always how to run the coolant lines back. Inside the passenger compartment is a bad idea with any soft lines; you could get badly scalded if anything goes wrong. Hard lines inside.....maybe, but underneath would be best if there is room. I would look at how the offroad trucks with rear rads do it as an example.

On a related note....I went through some international rally rules some year back and noted that they prohibited running coolant through the roll cage....so that trick has been tried! Crazy....

I think I am going to do it. Doesn't look that bad and I have most all the parts but the extra braided lines. I think I will run some aluminum lines from near the radiator under the car to the engine bay the braided lines to the engine. Any little bit of cooling and cost savings will help. This will allow me to not have to vent my one piece front end. I will start with my single pass dual core and see how she does. I will be some time before I find out.
It will post some pic if I ever get around to finishing it.

-
Back