Rear shock install_problems

-

DAndy ART

dreams becoming reality
Reaction score
Hi there.

I have a 67 Dart and new Hotchkis shocks. I am totally struggling to slide on the shock/bushing onto the upper shock mount/ peg. It is all lubed up like a suckling pig, tried warm water to soften the rubber but only goes on just over halfway. I have tried gently tapping on with a mallet, different angles, wiggling AND jiggling. I have wrestled enough. The measurements are tight but not impossible.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Andy

probably just need a touch more elbow grease... are they urethane bushings?

Last edited:
sorry - I misread the issue... fixed my first post. So it's not that they won't go onto the upper AND lower - they just won't slide onto the uppers?

@DAndy ART What did you ever do? I am currently struggling with mine. The Upper shock stem is 11/16. The rubber bushing in the Hotchkis schlock measures 11/16 on the outsides but it tapers to about 5/8 in the center. It progressively gets tighter toward the center of the hole.
I tried the supplied grease only to wipe everything down, sand the stem a smoother, applied a different lubricant, and tried without success again.
Would I need to turn these upper shock stems down or get smaller ones? Try to find a different bushing that’s 11/16” straight through?
Any tips on a secret method?

Upper shock mount is 11/16” but these weird bushing start at 11/16” and are 5/8” in the middle.
Maybe I can take the upper mounts out and press them on the shock and then remount as an assembly?
Anyone else run into this with Hotchkis rear shocks?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, did a little digging and it looks like these are ‘hourglass’ bushings. They come with an ID of 5/8” (.625”) and 3/4” (.750”). 11/16” is .68
Should I get the 3/4” ID bushing or disassemble the upper shock stud and press the too small bushing on?

image.jpg

These?
IMG_8852.jpeg

These are on the shock now.
IMG_8851.jpeg

I'm assuming there's a little bit of an airspace in there at the center of the hourglass to ensure they're tight/preloaded when installed?

couple ideas-

1) hit them with a hairdryer on high to soften/expand the bushings before attempting to install?

2) use a 3/4" impact socket as a driver and tap the shock on?

3) find an 11/16" reamer or drill bit and ream them out?

Removed and sanded stud

image.jpg

Slippery stuff
image.jpg

I hit

image.jpg

Tip for anyone in the future who may search this:
Take the upper shock mount off when installing Hotchkis or any hour glass bushing shock. Make the stud smooth and lube with a film type lubricant. Reinstall as a shock/upper mount assembly.

There is no room to exert the force the bushing requires up in the body.

Why are the spring saddles inboard of the springs?
Previous owner at some point put in a 3” relocation but I wanted to run the factory chrome tips so it is sitting on the OE spring perches.

Yeah those bushings are really tight, they don’t just “pop” on, you have to exert a constant, heavy pressure on them to get them on because you have to compress that center part of the bushing. So banging on them doesn’t work.

When I installed the Hotchkis shocks on my Duster I used a set of channel lock pliers to grab and squeeze them on. I may have had the tank out though and used the tank strap anchor as a point to grab from.

-
Back