Rear signal light trouble

-

dgtwo

dgtwo
Reaction score
THe left signal doesnt blink when the headlights are turned on.does when you turn them off but dimmer then the right
thanks in advance

Check for bad grounds, and corroded bulb holders.

Second possible trouble maker is directional switch. Check it by gently pull directional lever in direction of steering wheel while operating directional lights. If the light starts working, than the switch is getting sloppy, and needs replacement.

I agree with Wj. This sounds like GROUNDING problem to me.

I learned early on, back when "all the Chivvys" insisted on having part of the tail light stuff IN THE FREEKIN TRUNK LID!!!! Many MANY sailors who drove those didn't have a clue.

Clean, replace, ground your lamp sockets and check the bulbs. Get some electrical "dielectric grease." IF the auto stores don't have it, go to any electrical supply house, or even Lowes/ etc.

Apply this LIBERALLY in the sockets, behind the spring/ contacts, in the socket, and coat the bulb base. If forms an air seal which prevents corrosion.

I would bet on a corroded socket or a wrong bulb somewhere causing a crossover to the light circuit.

Got it!! changed the bulb cleand the grounds Thanks to all. Now onto horn doesnt work no breaklights. Ill explain a little I did a complete Resto on this car 3 and a half years now trying to work out the bugs before spring.

Horn:
Check that three wires attached to horn relay are on correct terminals.
Check horn signal wire from steering column connection at its base where directional signal connects, and follow to bulkhead connector.
Remove horn button, look for black wire to be loose
Lastly pull steering wheel, look over little roller or button contact between horn rim/button make sure it is contacting its race.

Brake lights:
Check brake light switch under dash where brake pedal lever and master cylinder push rod reside for correct adjustment. Work switch with finger if no lights, than it is a wiring issue, or fuse.
Check wiring diagram and follow brake light circuit back to trunk looking for broken wires, poor connections.
Oh most obvious, check that bulbs are there, and work…LOL

Don't forget that your brake light switch feeds the signal switch. This means that if you have power at the brake light switch, and follow it up to the column connector, AND if the turn signals work, then you have a turn signal switch problem.

Horns are easy, 3 terminals.

1 terminal to battery
2n terminal to horn
3rd terminal to horn button, which is grounded.

So gorund the horn button wire, if horns work, its the wiring or horn button

If they don't check battery power at relay, jumper power directly to horns to see if they work, and if they do, and nothing else worked, replace the relay

-
Back