Rear Speaker Mounting Q

-

mrhp

Reaction score
1970 Dart: Wondering how to mount rear deck 6x9 speakers. From inside the trunk, I see 4 very small holes around each speaker opening. There looks to be about 1/2" of space between the lower metal and the package tray which has the speaker slits in it on each side.

I would think that the speakers are mounted in some way from underneath as removing the package tray isn't an option.

Thanks

I pulled my dried up rotten package tray out and installed the speakers from the bottom because they were too tall to mount from the top. Used bolts with nylon lock nuts. And put a new package tray in. Does your package tray have holes in it for both speakers?

I pulled my dried up rotten package tray out and installed the speakers from the bottom because they were too tall to mount from the top. Used bolts with nylon lock nuts. And put a new package tray in. Does your package tray have holes in it for both speakers?
The package tray looks like this:

Package Tray.jpg

The original one in my dart didn't have any holes. So I needed to replace it anyways for the holes. But it disintegrated when I touched it. Most of it got cleaned up with a vacuum!

I'm not sure how you can securely mount your speakers without removing the package tray.

The package tray looks like this:

View attachment 1715159375

That comes out and the speakers can be mounted with machine screws to the underside of the metal, then the cover gets put back on.
I like foam weather strip between the speaker edges and metal to kill any rattle.
Use nylock nuts and don't tighten them down a lot.
Just enough to snug up the foam or you can warp the speaker frame.

I made a new panel with 6x9 oval cutouts and covered it with black speaker material with the speakers mounted on the underside of the metal.
It shows zero indication of speakers at all, but they are there.

Those slots will kill so much sound it's ridiculous.

That comes out and the speakers can be mounted with machine screws to the underside of the metal, then the cover gets put back on.
I like foam weather strip between the speaker edges and metal to kill any rattle.
Use nylock nuts and don't tighten them down a lot.
Just enough to snug up the foam or you can warp the speaker frame.

I made a new panel with 6x9 oval cutouts and covered it with black speaker material with the speakers mounted on the underside of the metal.
It shows zero indication of speakers at all, but they are there.

Those slots will kill so much sound it's ridiculous.
Thanks. What is involved in removing the package tray?

Thanks. What is involved in removing the package tray?

Pull the rear seat out, and there may be two spring clips holding it down to the metal.
Then slide it out towards the front of the car.
Both our Darts (72 and 73) had the clips, but I don't put them back because once the seat back goes back it pinches it in there anyway.

The very first thing I did when I pulled mine out was to make a template with the pieces, since I figured it wasn't going to come out intact.
It came out in three sections because it was so dry and brittle.:D

A sheet of what's called "press board" from Home Depot made two new panels with some left over.

1970 Dart: Wondering how to mount rear deck 6x9 speakers. From inside the trunk, I see 4 very small holes around each speaker opening. There looks to be about 1/2" of space between the lower metal and the package tray which has the speaker slits in it on each side.

I would think that the speakers are mounted in some way from underneath as removing the package tray isn't an option.

Thanks
Would like to see a pic from the trunk side of factory/dealer installed 6x9s if possible. Thanks

Last edited:
-
Back