Rear spring install question

-

keith9291

Reaction score
I have a quick...do the direction of the front and back pivot bolts matter?

Heres what happened, its been warm here in St Louis the last few days and I decided to install my new set of XHD springs. I got a new media blasting cabinet and blasted all the parts and painted them with zero rust. I thought I new what spring went on what side and set up the shackles accordingly. The front pivot bolt had the nut going inward and rear shackle had the bolts pointing outward. Right before I got the springs in place I called Mancini real quick and found out I had the springs on the wrong side. I swapped sides real and bolted them in place. Today I went out put the shocks and tires back on and lowered the car to tighten the pivot bolts and noticed I didn't switch the way the bolts went in when I swapped sides of the springs. Will this make a difference? I noticed there is a spot in the frame rail for the front pivot bolt to go into.

My 70 Dart has the nuts facing outward,on the rears,but I cant see any reason why it would matter,as long as there are no clearance issues.However,I'm sure there is some mad science MaMopar came up with.

The front perch bolt is 99% in shear and 1% in tension so it doesn't matter which direction it goes.

Chuck

My 71 dart didnt have enough room for the nut on the inboard side. I barely had enough room for a washer under the head of the bolt cause it was touching the rear sub frame.

My 69 Dart had the bolts installed from the inside, with the nuts outboard, both front pivot and rear shackel.

George

I've always placed the front leaf spring hanger bolt with the bolt head towards the inside (up against the frame rail). This is the way the factory set them up as well - it is a small extra safety issue. If the nut comes loose, the bolt cannot fall out as it will be captured by the frame rail.

Modified or offset hangers (like the 68 SuperStock cars) have a hole in the frame rail to accommodate the bolt moving inwards a bit, so that safety factor is lost, but I still place the bolt head inwards whenever pracctical.

Rear shackles do not this issue and I place them in the same direction (nut towards the outside) just to be consistant with the fronts.

hope that helps!

John P.
www.UsCarTool.com
919-855-8200

-
Back