Rear springs

-

grassy

Reaction score
The rear spring setup is rather crude..I am sure you could convert the shocks that would hold up nicely but keeping the axel in place would be tricky..I have seen the expensive way to go..has anyone discovered a backyard garage way of fiving this issue ?

Just a question I have been pondering.

ian.

Nothing at all wrong with a leaf spring suspension, in fact the design in our a bodys is quite good! But, there are a number of ways to reinvent the wheel, if thats what you want to do. 4 link, ladder bar, coilover, RMS ect..

To really answer this question we need to know your intended use and expectations.

The leaf spring suspension, when properly set up, will take you a very long way in both drag racing and the twisties.

Where are you trying to get with the suspension?

I'd go RMS street lynx setup if I were changing my rear suspension. If you check out Mopardude318 and Abodyjoe both of them have the RMS rear setup.

Nothing so cool. I am not sure what type of roads you have around home but ours are deterating with road maintence only happening just before elections ! ..I am kidding..it just seems that way. The tax we pay on gas is suppostely go to the roads but when some politician was able to temporatly dump the gas revenues into a 'general" account, our government became hooked on the tax money worse than a herion addict. A big chunk of our gas price goes for gax tax...I think we are paying almost 1.19 per litre..multiple 4.6 = $ 5.47 or $ 4.50 for an american gallon.

My MG had a solid rear axle with rear leaf springs. Bumps and washboard used to confuse the heck out of it...best way to describe it would be hopping or chattering..mind you to be fair, I will be changing the shocks and rebending the springs this spring. i have noticed the same with the Duster.

I just thought if there was a way that I didn't have to buy some of those solutions and I could keep the cost down, I would move forward. I am suspecting that it is too complicated.

Ian.

And as far as durability, that leaf spring suspension will outlast all the aftermarket setups.......

Thank-you. This will not be the first time that my thoughts were incorrect.

Two questions: For the springs, how do I ask for them to be bent back to stock. Is there a measurement I can give the spring guy ?

As for shocks, do I use a standard shock like on the front or upgrade to a non adjustible sealed air shock ....$ 400.00/set is a bit too rich for me.

Thanks
Grassy

-
Back