Rear sump for a 318?

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the truck/van small mopars have a rear sump?
Does anyone have a picture of a SBM on an engine stand with a rear sump (preferably a standard one) on it? I'd like to see how the deep part of the pan is oriented compared to the engine mount ears on the block.

I intend to fit the engine I'm building to a non mopar, and a rear sump would make fitting it a load easier. Plus I don't imagine these would be a big ticket item. Also I have a means of getting some parts sent down here in a couple of weeks. So if there is a factory part that fits the bill now is the time for me to try aquire one.

Yes the truck pans are rear sump. I have a factory 360 rear sump pan at the house, I'll lay it on my block and take a pic for you later when I get home from work.

The rear sump shouldn't interfere with the block mount ears, its more a worry for the K Frame and drag-link, but if that's not a worry for your application, it should work

Here go my friend.

388535010.jpg

Now if this isn't enough clearance for you the Magnum oil pans are only about half the sump but they are 5 quart pans. I have one of them somewhere but it's dirty and I don't want to turn it upside down on my new engine block. But if you need it let me know and I'll take it to work and clean it then take a pic.

Thanks GJ, thats a big help! :thumleft:

The engine bay I want to fit my 318 into was a 6cyl midsump. The original engine has the mounting point in the middle of the block. As the 318 is shorter than the 6, and has it's mount nearer the front of the block, I'm hoping the rear sump pan will allow me to hang the engine near where the old one was. I've had a measure up and the 318 engine mount to transmount (Stud to stud) is about 1"-1 1/2" different to what the original drive train was.

Sadly we have very little truck stuff round these parts. So they're just not something I'm familiar with.

Now I just need to find one, and the pickup to go with it.

-
Back