Rear suspension too stiff

-
I went ahead and reset the torque on my SS springs and it did make a definite improvement in the ride quality. I had tightened them up before with my impact. Next I want to see if this will make any improvement in my 60' foot times. If the snow ever melts.

I know this is an older post, but since you just bought it last fall, have you checked to see if the previous owner installed frame connectors ? That will give you a stiffer ride.

really?....how so?

the too tight nuts thing was news to me....and now this? I need to go back to school.

Maybe his reply was just a poor choice of words? I LOVE my sub-frame connectors. They took all of the twist out of my body over uneven road surfaces, but they certainly didn't make the suspension any stiffer?!?

Maybe his reply was just a poor choice of words? I LOVE my sub-frame connectors. They took all of the twist out of my body over uneven road surfaces, but they certainly didn't make the suspension any stiffer?!?

I'm still miffed....

If your car body without frame connectors is actually twisting (not suspension body roll) from un-even road surfaces.......you better park it.

Anti-sway bars, replacing worn out shocks and worn out suspension bushings help control the body roll.

In my humble opinion, on a street car with street tires, the only function of frame connectors is to add weight. Competition / racing is a whole other animal.

I could be wrong (happens ALL the time....just ask my wife)....so please take my comments for what they are....just us boys BS' n

I'm still miffed....

If your car body without frame connectors is actually twisting (not suspension body roll) from un-even road surfaces.......you better park it.

Anti-sway bars, replacing worn out shocks and worn out suspension bushings help control the body roll.

In my humble opinion, on a street car with street tires, the only function of frame connectors is to add weight. Competition / racing is a whole other animal.

I could be wrong (happens ALL the time....just ask my wife)....so please take my comments for what they are....just us boys BS' n

Don't be miffed, it's just a friendly discussion?!? :goodman:

My floor boards were solid, but when I put my car on a lift, the gap at the top of the fender and doors would get wider. This was the flex that I was referring to. After the sub-frame connectors were installed, I can lift the whole side of the car by putting a jack under either sub frame.

I also plan on putting 500 ft/lbs of torque down on the street, so I think they might help a little there too! :cheers:

when I say miffed..... it just means I have that goofy look on my face...ya know , the look the dog gets when he doesn't know whether to eat it or screw it.

I'm just trying to understand the thinking....nothing more...... the 500ft/lbs of torque helps clear the cloud.

I gotta admit...I still think adding frame connectors has nothing to do with a stiff ride.....but as my wife says ...I live in a bubble. I think that's what she says anyways...I usually quit pay'n attention after the first couple of words. I can't get A-body Mopars off my mind...It is a disease.

I wonder if the previous owner installed spring clamps on the springs ? since it had a homemade set of traction bars it seems like the guy he bought it from was racing it and clamps would be the next step after SS springs . This would definitely stiffen the ride .

or ...are the shocks slightly bent or damaged preventing fluid movement?.... springs should be somewhat bouncy without shock dampening....with or without tight nuts.

Just an opinion.

-
Back