Rear sway bar after leaf spring relocation??

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
I did the leaf spring relocation on the Valiant and was wondering if that will prevent me from installing a rear sway bar.

Well, I think it would be safe to say it will complicate it. The one I have (Addco, 20 years old, axle-mounted) is not dependent on the spring location, in itself, but the narrower spring perches might get in the way (very likely, I think). You might be safer with a chassis-mount bar. I'm not sure who makes one, but you could try Firm Feel and Hellwig to start. If all else fails, Pegasus Racing has build-it-yourself bars with adjustable width and arm length.

Why are you thinking of a rear bar? Are you in competition?

I found a great deal on front and rear sway, all new. I plan on using the front on my barracuda, ( I have one on the front of the Valiant now) and if I can use it on the rear Valiant, I will, if not it will go on the Barracuda....

A great deal, I don't think is a great reason to install a rear bar. Street A-bodies generally don't need rear bars. Cars with leafsprings are pretty good, in the back, without bars. Autocrossing? Well if she needs one, she needs one. On the street if the back gets too stiff, and especially with skinny rear tires, it will oversteer in a hurry. I hate too much oversteer. I wouldn't waste my time to mount one on a street Abody, until I knew for absolutely sure I needed one..A little oversteer, especially the throttle-induced kind, can be fun. But it's nice to know that as soon as I get off the throttle, that the car will snap back to neutral. That's saved my a$$ a few times.

-
Back