Rear Tires hit on fender?

-

Moparornocar51

Reaction score
Hi guys on my plymouth duster i run 255/60 R15 semi slicks on draglite wheels

at the 1/4 mile when i put the 2nd gear the rear fenders hit on my wheels, i have stock leaf springs and **** shocks, monroe sensa track

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-58496st/overview/make/plymouth/model/duster

Now i just ordered caltracs and i want to get the calvert rear shocks or the rancho ones, do you guys think that will solve my problem or do i need other wheels with more backspace?

Clearance between fender and wheel is about 1,6"

Here are some pics

You'll be able to get away with a little more back spacing. How much room do you have between the tire and the spring?

I know i have 3" backspacing now, 4,5" wouldnt be the problem, last time i measure it, the problem is that i have 5 on 4"bolt patern and the wheels are hard to get i know sumit have them, but i need them soon for dragracing, just wondering if i really need other wheels or not?

Thx Peter

I know i have 3" backspacing now, 4,5" wouldnt be the problem, last time i measure it, the problem is that i have 5 on 4"bolt patern and the wheels are hard to get i know sumit have them, but i need them soon for dragracing, just wondering if i really need other wheels or not?

Thx Peter

If I am seeing / understanding the problem correctly it looks like the body is coming down to the tire on acceleration? You could try reducing the suspension travel. You may first want to try some spring clamps to see if that stiffens the springs up enough. If all else fails some type of bump stop?

Have you considered Super Stock leaf springs? They will be stiffer than your stock springs (which may be worn and saggy by now), and will not flex as much under load.

An adjustable snubber might help too. Set it about an inch below the pan. It won't help going around corners but there isn't too many corners at the drag strip.

You actually have a few options, correct backspacing being the best. New springs, which you said you already ordered. The other option is to remove the wheels and tires, get underneat it and beat the fender lips flush up against the inner fenders with a rubber mallet. As long as you're gentle, it will not damage the body or paint. I have used this option along with SS springs to fix a rubbing issue in the past. I personally wouldn't go with longer shackles or air shocks unless you have no other options. They make for a horrible ride, will not improve your ability to hook at the track, and could cause wheel hop.

I solved that problem by buying 15x8 SBP rallye wheels with 4.5 backspacing , not hitting the fenders . Finding other SBP wheels might be tough though . Good luck

Thx guys i will order them now, better i spend money on some wheels before i spend money for something what doesnt really help me

-
Back