Rear tires on dart sport

-

cinimod2

Reaction score
As of right now I've got 215/70r/14's all around on my dart sport. I was going to get some new rims but decided to upgrade my reader tires. What's the widest biggest tire I can go in the rear without any mods? I know the rims are 14in but not sure in the width? The backspace is 4in if that's any help?
Thanks Dom

it depends on how wide your rims are. If you have a seven inch rim a P-255X60 will fit nicely.

alright i just went out and measured them and they're 14x6. Could I fit a p-245x70 or would that be too big?

I dont think the width of the rim really changes the tire width. My dad has run 275-60-15's on 15x6 Rallyes for over 20 years now and now problems. The width would only change the backspace.

How are you measuring the wheel? Are you measuring the width of the wheel on the inside or outside of the wheel lip? Measurements should be taken from the inside, as this is where the tire actually sits.

I would not put more than a 235 width tire on a stock 14" x 5.5", which is a common wheel. Even 235 is fairly wide for this wheel. My 225s bulge a good amount on my 14" X 5.5" wheels.

If it is a true 6" wheel, you should be all set for a 235, maybe even a 245, but I wouldn't go wider. It can create problems on sharp turns when the wheel compresses the tires. If the sidewall is already bulged, the wheel will have far less resistance within the sidewall to compress and could over-stress the sidewall. You do not want to create weak spots on tire sidewalls. Very bad.

(Please save the comments. I know of several people myself who run 255s and 275s on stock 5.5" and 6" wheels, but I wouldn't recommend it).

Just my $0.02

-Mike

-
Back