rear view mirror windshield GLUE!!

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought the Permatex brand to glue the sucker to the windshield. Wlll it was old and dried out, no good. Will super glue do the deed!?????

I bought the NAPA quick rear view mirror kit. Came wityh an alcohol wipe and the glue.....was about 3 bucks I think.

Go to your nearest body shop and have them do it. I give him 10 bucks and its done with the good stuff.

Had one that kept falling off, i scuffed the glass with 80 grit right where it had to go and glued that sucker on w JB weld. Never fell off again.

While working for a used car lot 4 years I used mirror glue kits at least 50 times. Success is to remove all the original glue. I would stick the piece of steel to a steel wire wheel, see the glue turn black and come off. Couldn't see it before but it was there.

originals were not glued they were laminated with the same vinyl that goes in between the 2 piece windshields. When we repaired them and had to re-do them out in public we had similar kits that just glued it on. the trick was clean,clean clean the windshield and the button (you can't see it but there is a lot of garbage stuck on that metal button) scrape it,wire wheel it or just sand it off, BTW make sure its on the small side that goes towards the windshield. after 30 years of working cutting with and bending Chrysler glass..... I've done it backwards and had to replace the complete windshield, luckily not on my dime and it only happened once. but the trick was to clean it and then make sure you don't touch either the button face or the area it goes on in the windshield (I taped a square around the area on the outside of the windshield to make sure I go the whole thing clean and didn't lose location)

Super glue is working for mine...
scuffed the shoe and glass, lets the glue get a bite.
Clean with alcohol.

-
Back