Rear window leak 71 dart

-

2kids

Reaction score
I've got a very small leak in both corners of the rear window on my 71 dart - what are my options to fix this? Do you have to take the entire window out and re-seal it or can I try to seal it with something without removing the entire window.

Thanks!

thats where my 74 dart is leaking as well you can try some buetul if you go to a windshield shop they should have it its like a rubber sticky addhesive is pretty cool stuff you might have to pull the window and re seal it just make sure it dosent break or your going to be looking for a tuff window to get it might be rusted through the trunk/rear package tray as well good luck

Mine was leaking from those areas also. The trunk would get water in it. I almost have them fixed after going to the glass shop a couple times.

First, they just put a bead of sealant from the outside just under where the weatherstrip meets the glass. It still leaked a good amount.

So on the second time around, they pulled the glass out and put sealant in certain areas such as under the chrome trim area. Then they put a good amount of black urethane sealant just on the bottom of the outside part of the weatherstrip. It still leaked a little when I checked but it helped a lot. It still looks like they didn't put much sealant on the corner areas and upward a little.

Right now it still has a little amount of water coming in from the corners where the glass sits in the channel, it goes into the channel from the outside and then back up on the inside where the package tray is. I think the best way is putting that black sealant urethane in the channel of the glass and the channel where it touches the metal.

Also, the clips that hold the trim can leak also if they are screwed on. I was told that the factory tack welded them on but mine have screws. You can check yours by looking inside the trunk where the rear window area is.

They need to be careful if they pull the glass! If it breaks, I was quoted at about $500 for a new one!

cool thanks. I wound up using some high flow silicone and it worked great. Just cleaned out a little of the old stuff and put some of this stuff in each corner - no more leak! (for now)

Darcy

There are welded studs at vynil top trim and other places but all the reveal moulding clips were held with sheet metal screws. They are special screws too. #8X3/8 screw with a #6 screw head. Standard #8 screw head wont leave room for the moulding to get in the clip.

Also, the clips that hold the trim can leak also if they are screwed on. I was told that the factory tack welded them on but mine have screws. You can check yours by looking inside the trunk where the rear window area is.

They need to be careful if they pull the glass! If it breaks, I was quoted at about $500 for a new one![/QUOTE]

cool thanks. I wound up using some high flow silicone and it worked great. Just cleaned out a little of the old stuff and put some of this stuff in each corner - no more leak! (for now)

Darcy
How long did the fix last, and do you remember what specific silicone you used? Did you put it between the gasket and the metal in the little valley?

-
Back