Rearend 7.25 junk????

-

Del

Papa66Bcuda
Reaction score
IMG_0491.JPG
i have a question for someone that knows more than I do on rearend's I have a guy trying to sell me a 7.25 suregrip out of a 71 Dart that he said when he pulled the cover it had been under water for sometime and 2 teeth on ring gear were chipped. My question is do you think the suregrip is still any good. I know probably bearings and seals will need replaced but is it able to be salvaged. Thanks

I have heard that replacement parts for 7.25 sure grips are not easy to find.
I would get a lead on the bearings , gears, clutch pacs prior to setting a firm price.

That cone type SG is rebuildable
But you see those shiney swirl marks on the case? Those ain't supposed to be there,lol. In all probability, the pinion bearing is or was at one time, loose.
I have run RGs with chipped teeth for many years.

In a proper application a 7.25 with a SG will take a good deal of punishment.

Last edited:
Please post where you are finding the parts to rebuild the 7.25 sure grip specifically the wear item,,clutch packs...
I would also appreciate seeing the parts you get for the rebuild. If you don't mind, let us know how much you pay for it.
I have a 7.25 sg that I want to freshen up and have ready when my 7.25 goes out.

They are good rears as long as you aren't going to beat on the car.I have a 323 7 1/4 sure grip in my 65 Valiant station wagon and it serves me well and has for the past 20 or so years I have been driving that car. In 65 that is what was used in Barracuda formula S cars and Dart GT as well.Mine came from a 65 Dart that a little old lady owned .She bought it new with a 170 slant , auto trans,and for some unknown reason a sure grip.It had 56,000 miles on it when I got it . My friend made the Dart a commando V8 car and used an 8 3/4 in it. Now that rear has well over 200,000 miles on it and works as good as the day it was built. So the rear you are buying is worth saving but if you are going to use it in a car that you are putting a bunch of horse power in you are kidding yourself .

I'm going to go ahead and pick it up don't think I can go wrong for a $100 dollars. I've got a 7.25 under my Barracuda now but non suregrip and 293 gears. This has got 323 gears. I really appreciate everyone here on this forum it's remarkable the knowledge that's here at your finger tips anytime. I may be asking more questions. Thanks to everyone

I'm running 14" on it now it really kinda embarrassing from take off till about 30 mph. Hopefully this gearing will help. What's anyone else running for gears 7.25 or 8 3/4

I'm running 14" on it now it really kinda embarrassing from take off till about 30 mph. Hopefully this gearing will help. What's anyone else running for gears 7.25 or 8 3/4
LOL!! Are You intentionally baiting AJ or what?!?!?!?!?!?
As far as what's anybody running, I've run everything from 2.76's to 4.89's on the street, what is the mill and what is the goal?
Ohhh, Uh Ohh, I can hear it like a dry steam boiler that just got a slug of water.........NoooOOOO...AYYYYJAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:....!!:)..........

-
Back