rearend brakes??

-

dartsport74

Reaction score
i have an 8.75 rearend small bolt pattern and i got a 35 spline spool and axles coming, but ive been told i have to change to the larger brakes and backling plates is this true? or can i use my other stock brakes??

If pattern is same, you can use original, unless they send a bigger center hub (part that sticks out through the drum). Then junkyard backing plates, buy new drums, shoes and hardware ( tell the parts people it is off a 67 gtx, them and their computers are funky)

Or just have machine shop enlarge centering hole in old drums. I can't remember if there was a difference in 10" and 11" register hole.

Depends on 2 things- 1. Are your new axles 5x4" (sbp)? If not, you'll have to switch to BBP brakes 2. Length of the axle. SBP brakes are narrower (either 9x2" or 10x1.75"), so the axle length is different. If your new axles were intended to have 10x2.5" brakes, you can't use the stockers. And, you can't use the backing plates even if you already have the 10" brakes, as the offset of the backing plates is different.

Most new axles have the larger 5x4.5" pattern. If your supplier says you need the bigger 10x2.5" brakes, then you probably do.

Yeah, slide axle in, without bolting, and measure. I've only gone from sp to bp, and ordered axles for that; took 11" brakes.

If pattern is same, you can use original, unless they send a bigger center hub (part that sticks out through the drum). Then junkyard backing plates, buy new drums, shoes and hardware ( tell the parts people it is off a 67 gtx, them and their computers are funky)

Or just have machine shop enlarge centering hole in old drums. I can't remember if there was a difference in 10" and 11" register hole.

thank you for the idea and help i went to localyard and picked up some brakes off an old plymouth and things seem to work thanks again

-
Back