rearend length

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
i have a 73 dart sports anyone no the length of it?
im sure no one will no the length of the rear on a newport? question i should asked is it u heard of a new port8)
any help would be great

A Newport is a C-Body. I'm not sure what year you are looking at though as the rears changed from 8.75 in the 60's to a 9.25 in the 70's I beleive and I dont know if the flange to flange width changed then as well. Either way they wont fit an A-Body without shortening them... as well I dont think you would be able to shorten the 9.25

65-67 B is the best, then the 68-70 B body rear.

Drum to drum
65-67 B is 59 1/2"
68-70 B is 60 1/8"

Stock a body 8.75 is 57 1/8" drum to drum

With the B rear just get wheels with a little more offset to pull it back under the car.

well its hard to find that rearend for a decent price. The rear end is a 8.75 in the new sport. you think with the stock rear end i have and the new ports shortened i will be all good?

I have a C-body rear from a '69 Chrysler 300 in my barn. I have it just for an extra housing to cut down for a narrowed rear. The axles from the C-body will not work if you want to cut them down and respline them as they are tapered. A friend of mine grabbed the axles, and sent them to Moser, and they sent them back with a no, go. Earlier C-body axles will cut down, but I'm not sure how much earlier. I'm guessing '66. You could cut the C-body housing down to A-body length, and buy axles new or used...that would be the way to go.

My C-Body axles were not the tapered ones and I had a local shop cut and respline them. The rear was from a 68 Newport (I pulled it).

But as the shop fees for doing the cutting and resplining were about the same as getting new ones shipped from Moser, if I ever need to do this again I'll just order em.

My C-Body axles were not the tapered ones and I had a local shop cut and respline them. The rear was from a 68 Newport (I pulled it).

But as the shop fees for doing the cutting and resplining were about the same as getting new ones shipped from Moser, if I ever need to do this again I'll just order em.

'68 Newport eh? That is good info to have around. Maybe they started using the tapered ones in '69. One other interesting thing about this 300 was the thrid member was a 489 case. It must have been a late build car.

-
Back