Rebuild transmission troubles

-
To 80fbody; you might want to rethink that. To do what you are saying,the tranny is about ready to come down, so why not go the whole distance. Just to "see what happens", in this instance will, more than likely, result in a do-over. Am I wrong?

If it ran without the converter seated it needs to come out as Tracy mentioned it trashes the pump.
The converter spins the pump drive lugs against the inner pump gear and sends that ground up metal into the pump and converter.
The good news is that when that happens the pump isn't running so it does'nt send the metal all through the trans.

Ok update as it has been raining every afternoon I got the transmission out this afternoon tomorrow after work I will look into it.
So what should look for I looked at the shafts in the transmission I did see two ear inside the tranny. What else should I be looking for? Damage wise in the transmission and the torque converter
Thanks

Reread the thread from the beginning, paying attention to those posts pertaining to convertor depth.
-check TC hub and face of pump gear.
-When you separated the TC from the flexplate, did you/were you able to, push the TC backwards into the trans? Or was the TC jammed up against the flexplate?
-If the TC was jammed up, then the pump needs to come out for inspection and probable replacement. At this time verify that the gasket was correctly installed.
-If the TC slid back nicely about 1/2 inch or more, then it may be ok. In which case I would drop the pan and verify that the manual valve is properly engaged with the shift mechanism(rooster comb).
-If the TC and pump are ok, and the manual valve is engaged and you confirm that the TC and trans were working together before the rebuild then; I would drop the valvebody(VB), and confirm the clutchs apply using the air pressure test.
-If the pressure test is no good( pay particular attention to the forward drive clutch), then I would first check all the cast rings on the inputshaft, and the pump gasket, and lastly the lipseals .
-But if the pressure test is good then next I would test the VB. I would be looking for problems in the pressure regulator valve first.
-If you still cant find the problem, you might as well verify that the overrunning clutch(sprag) is assembled correctly.
-What did I miss?
-Oh I know.I hope this is a 1967 or later trans.If it is an earlier unit, they had a checkball in the pressure circuit with a 3/8 ball.Its easy to swap it for the 5/16 ball in the regulator circuit. I have no idea what the outcome of doing that would be as I have never done it. I bet it wouldnt be good tho.

Somebody mentioned this, but it may be an easy one that I personally screwed up when rebuilding my 904. Make sure that shift selector arm is properly located with the manual valve. Mine wasn't and hence was moving, so the shifter seemed to work, but it didn't actually move the manual valve and therefore..nothing happened!

Good morning all,I know it has been a while, so here is a quick update, I removed the tranny and pulled the front pump. took the pump apart and really could see anything wrong. then I have been out of town most of the time after that. I just got home on Friday and will try and get back on it this week. I will take pictures and post updates as I go thru itThanks again all.

-
Back