Rebuilding a 727

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
My 727 is toast behind he 440 in My 66 Coronet. Second slips real bad.
A few years ago I got a 727 from my uncle. It was rebuilt for a 600hp 500ci truck he built. After installation something popped and it had no go. Supposed to have been 800 to 900 bucks to rebuild it. Being the fool with a lot of money he was he took it out and threw it in the corner. He later said I could have it or he was going to throw it away.
I was thinking about possibly using those internals in my Coronet trans. I have built several engines, rear ends, a couple 4 speeds etc. But no auto trannys. I would like to do it myself. If anyone has input or suggestions I would appreciate it. Maybe a certain manual or book that would help. This would be my first automatic.

I've done several. First one, I just dove in head first. Just take everything out and lay it out on a clean bench in the order you take it out. I don't remember using a certain manual, just have everything in order. It goes back in the exact same way it came out. I think I got all the new clutches from Summit or Jegs. Seemed like there was a lot of snap rings too, so make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers. And watch out for the check balls if you take the valve body apart.

Call Jon at Cope racing, he will get you the best parts at decent prices and point you in the right direection.

PS I have dones 100s of thes and they are a beast when done the right way.

enjoy, good luck too!:)

The trans parts house in your city should have what you need and a manual for the 904/727, IMO a 727 or a 904 is easier and quicker to rebuild than a motor, take your time and clean clean clean all the parts. you may need to go to a tranny shop to replace some of the bushings and to compress the piston in one of the drums to replace 2 of the seals but it shouldnt cost anything if theyer nice enough to do it for you

You might check that 727 your uncle is giving you closely. May not be anything wrong with it. Could have just broken the torque converter. That'll cause no motion in any gear. Just a thought.

You might check that 727 your uncle is giving you closely. May not be anything wrong with it. Could have just broken the torque converter. That'll cause no motion in any gear. Just a thought.

I plan on taking it apart to see what happened. If I'm lucky I may have a good trans with an easy fix. I assume if it was built for that stoker, its got good parts in it. It wasn't even driven as far as I know. Its all still new inside.

-
Back