Rebuilding Door Hinges

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
In taking a close look the other night at the condition of the door hinges on my 71 Dart, it is clear that they will need rebuilding. The "S" shaped rod and the little star shaped wheel that rides on it are badly worn on both sides. Are replacement parts for these available? Do they come apart pretty easily? Thanks. L8r

Personally I have not had good luck rebuilding my hinges, find a new or rebuilt unit and bolt it on. However that said, others have been successful with this repair.

One of our members has a door hinge rebuilding service. Search the appropriate forum and all will become clear. Good Luck!

The body shop that did my 67 GTS rebuilt the passenger door hinges. He's had bad luck with reproduction hinges so he believes you're better off rebuilding them. He said you need a drill press to do them since the rebuild involves drilling and installing a bushing. Probably a press too.

I rebuilt mine. Wasn't too bad. I had one lower hinge that was really worn and cracked. I just bought another used one and rebuilt it. I think I got the pin and bushing kits at autozone.

If all the hidge needs is pin and bushings, that can be a "do it yourself" job.
Couple different ways to go about that.
Where the S spring and detent rollers are shot, replacing the hindge is the best route.

It isn't that bad a job to do. I have done it on car with the door sitting on a floor jack on many different cars. As soon as I find the parts I am doing the drivers door of the shelby daytona my mother bought last week. If you don't remove the door from the car be very careful in how you support the door. I learned how to do it on car because s-10 hinges go bad fast and the hinges are welded to the body. Good thinking on gm's part.

-
Back