Rebuilding Front Disc Calipers

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
What is needed and is it difficult? I was going to get loaded calipers from RA but the price to ship them back is going to take a chunk out of the money i get back for the cores and I rather just keep them simple.

or just get the raybestos loaded ones. Which would be better

Buy calipers from your local O'reilly's. They are about $20 a side, no core required, then get pads.

I looked at rock and the shipping back cores made it more expensive.

yea. oreillys, or napa or car quest. i found rockauto to be a little bit much for those calipers...ill check my local napa or car quest for you tomorrow. they both are pretty good for having that kinda stuff...

I rebuilt calipers routinely back in the day. I wouldn't do it anymore. Plus with the older vehicle and the brake fluid being hygroscopic, your calipers are probably all rust pitted internally anyway. There is only so much honing you can do. Just last summer I tried it on my 74 Triumph Spitfire. I remembered almost too late to keep your fingers out of the way when blowing out the piston. Still ended up with a nasty bruise. Lesson learned. Calipers are relatively cheap and reduce the pain, yelling, cussing and throwing of tools to a minimum.

I rebuilt my 4 piston KH calipers with a stainless kit. It worked out very well,but one of the concerns is the glide area where the pads rest on the caliper. This area can often be gouged from wear and needs to be built back up via welding. Overall I'd say it's much simpler buying new but just keep in mind that anything new is likely made offshore.

I'm hard headed. I like to build all mine. I don't trust Hoo Flung Dung in some communist country workin for a dollar a day and armed commie gaurds over his shoulder to build my brake calipers. No thanks. Unless there's something detrimentally wrong with them, I rebuild them every time. It's just the mechanic in me I guess. I always enjoy makin something good outta somethin not so good.

-
Back