Rebuilding front suspension/steering

-

Robj

Reaction score
I've done two '74 B-body front ends but I'm going to rebuild the front of my '70 318 Dart for the first time.

I have a few UCA questions.

I see I can buy offset UCA bushings from Moog.
This is to increase caster?

I see how they will more or less put a twist on the UCA by moving the steering knuckle connecting point at the top ball joint back a bit to increase the caster but does this affect smoothness of travel over the entire front suspension? No binding?

What does this do to camber and ride height by moving that upper ball joint back which it seems would also move it inboard a slight bit?

I assume once you press them in, that's the increase you are going to live with as they aren't adjustable. My car is a daily driver.

Is there a down side caused by the offset with less material on the one side between the center insert and the outer sleeve?

Are they worth using?

When I search UCA bolts I see bolts with regular washers and also offset bolts with offset washers. Are the regular bolts and washers used for a stock set-up with traditional type hole-in-the-center bushings and the offset bolts used for the offset bushings?

Thanks

I've done two '74 B-body front ends but I'm going to rebuild the front of my '70 318 Dart for the first time.

I have a few UCA questions.

I see I can buy offset UCA bushings from Moog.
This is to increase caster?

Yes, if installed correctly, NOT installed per instructions on box

I see how they will more or less put a twist on the UCA by moving the steering knuckle connecting point at the top ball joint back a bit to increase the caster but does this affect smoothness of travel over the entire front suspension? No binding?

No problem with binding or smoothness of travel as compare to regular rubber bushing

What does this do to camber and ride height by moving that upper ball joint back which it seems would also move it inboard a slight bit?

The inboard is very slight. There is plenty of adjustment left, unless something else is bent. The front bushing moves the UCA out the rear bushing moves it back in. There is cancelling effect.

I assume once you press them in, that's the increase you are going to live with as they aren't adjustable. My car is a daily driver.

The regular adjustment cams are still used. They have about an inch of in and out adjustment. On a GM or Ford, most shops will not put a 1" stack of shims in a car.

Is there a down side caused by the offset with less material on the one side between the center insert and the outer sleeve?

No. I've put 40K miles on a set. They are still good. I can't say the same for my trick spherical rod end UCA's that only have 8K miles on them.

Are they worth using?

Yes

When I search UCA bolts I see bolts with regular washers and also offset bolts with offset washers. Are the regular bolts and washers used for a stock set-up with traditional type hole-in-the-center bushings and the offset bolts used for the offset bushings?

All should be offset/cam/eccentric type. You can just reuse your factory cam eccentrics. The only thing that wears on them are the flats on the removable washer. They need to be pretty boogered up to not work right.

Thanks

Hope that helps

Attachments

• 4756089-offsetbushingInstall.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 208
  • 5860482-UcaCamAdj.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 199
-
Back