Rebuilding Original 383 for my 69 383-s Fastback

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I just took my matching numbers 383 block down to the machine shop. I am going to do a stock rebuild on it, pull the 440+6 that has been residing in the car for the last 25 years.

I have been trying to sell my car to fund another project. I guess I will keep the 440+6 for it. I think that the having the original engine in the car will appeal to more people.

The block appears to have been rough bored and never honed over 25 years ago. Maybe it will only need a honing and be ready to go.

Actually looking forward to building the engine and putting it back to stock.

Latest from the machine shop: The block pressure tested ok. However, whoever machined it nearly 3 decades ago was testing crack cocaine or something and really screwed up three cylinders.

I will need to sleeve three cylinders. This will add a few hundred dollars to the build, not a deal breaker, but was hoping that wouldn't be necessary.

If it wasn't the original block, I would look for another one.

it is great you have it. I have an Aug 1 68' Cuda 383,(1969 model) but the original was blown in 1976. Amazingly, I found an A body block from a 68' GTS. The build date for that block was two weeks prior to the date(July 17th or so) on my 69', so it was one of the last 68's made.
I feel very fortunate!

Love them numbers motors. Build it with better compression and put a decent stick in it. Paint it all stock looking and have some fun along with your investment.

I haven't even decided what compression or stick for it yet. I want it to run good on pump gas, be reliable, and know that the whoever buys the car is getting a very good, stock engine. If the next owner wants to hot rod it, so be it.

The 440+6 will go into my next car or... I might sell it local and build a small block for better handling. I hope to purchase my project E-body after the new year. Will post pics then.

I am keeping which E-body under cover, for now, as I don't want any attention for the current owner who has agreed to sell me the car.

Here are the plans for it.
Power rack and pinion steering
Tubular upper control arms
reinforced stock lower control arms
Front/rear sway bars
New torsion bars/leaf springs
sub-frame connectors
AC
Five speed/gear vendors overdrive
4 wheel disc brakes
FAST EFI on a LA small block or possibly Gen 3 Hemi
Newer bucket seats (Out of new Challenger, maybe)
Go-wing
No bigger than 17 inch wheels (I hate the rubber band wheel look, especially on Mopars)
Two tone paint

-
Back