rebuilt 904 not always shifting

-

69B-Cuda

Reaction score
I rebuilt the 904 in my 69 Barracuda. I also put a TF-2 shift kit in it. It seems to run and shift fine.... most of the time. Sometimes, more after I drive it for a while, it does not want to upshift if I have it in drive. I will stay in 1st and seem to freewheel if I let off the gas. If I move the shifter down into 1st, then into 2nd, it shifts into 2nd fine. Sometimes in drive, it shifts to 2nd but not into 3rd. If I put it in neutral and back into drive, it is then in 3rd.

Kickdown is adjusted fine, fluid level is fine, I flushed lines and cooler out when I did the tranny.

Is there something wrong with the governor or some little piece of junk in the valve body?

Searching threads on here, it seems like the governor may be the guilty culprit. I did take it all apart and clean it real well when I had it all apart. I did not see anything wrong, grooved, bent, or sticking.

Sure sounds like a governor circuit problem. How did the aluminum governor support look where the governor's sealing rings ride? I've seen quite a few of them worn in that area and then the governor sealing rings don't seal good letting pressure leak past.

it all looked fine but, being the first one I rebuilt, I may have missed something. Looks like I may be pulling it apart again....

Is it possibly a little grease or some dirt in it?

it all looked fine but, being the first one I rebuilt, I may have missed something. Looks like I may be pulling it apart again....

Is it possibly a little grease or some dirt in it?

It's possible there is something floating around in there, or it could be just a sticky valve.
There is an additive that Honda transmissions use that works really well for sticky valves because they were so sensitive to that, and it could solve your problem.
It's called Lubegard RED, and we would add it if the trans hesitated to shift or got stuck in a gear after a rebuild. (It worked exceptionally well too)

The main reason I think it may be a sticky valve is because you said it free wheels when you let off the gas. (Called engine braking)
No engine braking usually means a sticking valve if I remember correctly.

looking at the Lubegard Red, it says for use with all types of ATF except Ford type F. I am running a mix of type F and dextron/mercon (read on here that guys run a mix)... will that be OK to run the lubegard in it or do I need to change the type of fluid I'm running in the tranny? (was planning on changing it next time I change the engine oil anyway)

looking at the Lubegard Red, it says for use with all types of ATF except Ford type F. I am running a mix of type F and dextron/mercon (read on here that guys run a mix)... will that be OK to run the lubegard in it or do I need to change the type of fluid I'm running in the tranny? (was planning on changing it next time I change the engine oil anyway)

I think it has more to do with the trans type requiring type F and not the fluid itself.
On thier FAQ's it says that "Transmissions that require type F should not have a friction modifier added because these transmission types require harder application of the friction surfaces, and that a friction modifier can cause slippage in these transmissions."

So it has to do with the trans type itself and not the fluid used.

It should be fine.

If you want to see the FAQ's they are here http://www.lubegard.com/faqs.html

Also, I beleive that running a mix of fluids is a waste of time and effort.
These tranmissions will run on used french fry oil if they had to, so mixing is just a little to anal about it in my own oppinion.
I use full type F purely because it has a little less slippage when clutches and bands apply, and I have made a few specific mods to my trans so I can casual daily drive it but it firms up nicely when I get on the throttle.

thanks a bunch for the info! I"ll try some of the lubegard in it and drive it for a bit and see if it frees up the governor.

thanks a bunch for the info! I"ll try some of the lubegard in it and drive it for a bit and see if it frees up the governor.

Or frees up the sticking valve in the valve body. :D

Whichever, because it helps both.

added the Lubegard Red and have driven ~150 miles with no shifting issues at all. Thanks!

-
Back