Rebuilt Engine, Super Low Oil Pressure :(

-
well add that to the live and learn column... you NEVER assume anything when building a motor... i really think you need to start over as when you tell them your assembling it yourself, they dont clean it.

where in CA are you? in about a month i'll be driving thru and maybe can help for a bit

I cleaned the motor, not the pump though that was brand new. I probably should have in retrospect.

I'm in Napa, working now but have a couple weeks off in the summer that will be devoted rebuilding this rebuild :)

I cleaned the motor, not the pump though that was brand new. I probably should have in retrospect.

I'm in Napa, working now but have a couple weeks off in the summer that will be devoted rebuilding this rebuild :)

oh your pretty far north... i was thinking you were more south.

I used the one that was in it before the rebuild, and it had good oil pressure. I didn't check the clearance, but I do remember it didn't thread all the way back in, but stopped turning so I assumed it was where it should be.

It is possible the pump pickup, is not positioned properly. You do not tighten it till it stops turning. There is a specific orientation of the pickup, shown in the factory service manual. Basically the bottom of the screen should be parrellel to the bottom of the pan.

If that was the problem and the pickup was canted on the bottom then would adding a couple of quarts of oil indicate this ? I am not suggesting leaving it like that but just ad a quart or 2 and see if the pressure returns to normal.

just a thought.

It is possible the pump pickup, is not positioned properly. You do not tighten it till it stops turning. There is a specific orientation of the pickup, shown in the factory service manual. Basically the bottom of the screen should be parrellel to the bottom of the pan.

I'm over in Vacaville and don't troll here much. Who did the machine work and were they the ones that you got your parts from? I have yet to rebuild a /6 but have built a few motors and currently helping my brother with his 383. From what it sounds like you really should have done a more throught job of cleaning and checking and re-checking as you build. If you have to rebuild from scratch, I recommend that you find a good engine rebuilding book and read and follow it. Something else to look into, read here. http://www.slantsix.org/articles/oil-pump-gear/failure-fix-report.htm

CaseyW

did you pack the oil pump rotor cavity with a light grease, like vasolene?
that helps the pump to quickly pick up a prime

and,, you can get a nice set of nylon bottle brushes at HF, Sumitt, probably even at NAPA.
when I get a block, head or crank back from the machine shop it is bagged,, but before the build I always run a brush through the internal passages, just to make sure they are clean and open..
For a solvent I use liberal amounts of spray brake parts cleaner.
I follow that with a blast of compressed air. If the part will sit for a day or two, before building,a spray of a non tacky rust inhibitor like wd-40 before it goes back into the bag.

Make certain, as someone suggested, that the galley plugs are all installed. Machine shops typically do not install these if you say you are going to assemble & clean it yourself. They expect you to install them after you clean the block. Also you mentioned the crank was turned, do the bearings match the new undersized crank journals? You'll need to go back & verify all that is correct. Good luck!

Make certain, as someone suggested, that the galley plugs are all installed. Machine shops typically do not install these if you say you are going to assemble & clean it yourself. they expect you to install them after you clean the block. Also you mentioned the crank was turned, do the bearings match the new undersized crank journals? You'll need to go back & verify all that is correct. Good luck!

Best answer so far

Well.... I pulled the motor, put it on an stand and flipped it over. The pickup was turned sideways. I think I may have been hit by the crank somehow. Anyways I turned it and said f it and put it all back together. She runs real nice now. Only problem now is I'm having trouble hooking up the electric short sweep autometer gauge.

Dude I'm in Fairfield if you need a hand pm me and ill be happy to help you troubleshoot it.

Well.... I pulled the motor, put it on an stand and flipped it over. The pickup was turned sideways. I think I may have been hit by the crank somehow. Anyways I turned it and said f it and put it all back together. She runs real nice now. Only problem now is I'm having trouble hooking up the electric short sweep autometer gauge.

The old.... Oil pick up tube not sitting in the oil treatment.... That will get you everytime....
Glad you found it and got it fixed....

-
Back