Recieved a letter yesterday

-

ram45red

Reaction score
I got a letter from a guy I was in the army with yesterday. He left Germany in 1978 and I left in 1979 and haven't heard from each other since.He is starting a facebook page for everyone from our old unit to join.It sure was nice to hear from ole Wild Bill. I haven't done the facebook deal yet but I will later today so I can hook up with him and the other guys I was stationed with in Germany from 75 till 79.He enclosed his cell phone # and his email adress so I called him up and we had a nice BS session about old times. It sure felt good to hear from him.At first I tried to get him on my wifes facebook page and some of the other guys jumped in so I'm looking forward to hooking up with more of the guys from Charlie Battery 6/56 Air Defence Comand Hahn Air Force Base in Germany. We were in the Army asigned there to defend the airfield incase of an attack. It sure feels good that after all these years an old friend gets in touch with me.

That's really cool. Thanks for your service.

The Army Nike site was a couple of k's up the road from our Air Force missile site, but I was stationed there in the early sixties with the 89th TAC Missile Squadron. The Mace missile became obsolete and left Hahn AB in the late sixties, but apparently the Nike remained for base protection. Hahn closed sometime in the eighties. We wore the patch shown in my avatar.

You'll really enjoy contacting your old Army friends, just as we did when we formed a reunion group in '96. Military buddies are never forgotten.

That's cool, I joined facebook to watch my kids, & have found a few old friends & joined a couple of Army sites.
I browse a lot-- some people have really cool personal photos of places I remember.
I was in Mannheim from 83-85 & Ft. Stewart 85-86. Wished I would have stayed in for retirement-- but it wasn't to be, Lawrence

Five Star Thread!!! :-D Congrats on getting hooked up with your old friends again. Thank you and all of them most sincerely for your service to our Country.

After talking with Wild Bill I went to Hahns web site and guestbook and there was alot of photos of the base and local towns. Brought back a pile of good memories. I think the base closed in 93. It was sad to see pictures of it now that it is run down and closed but that is life. Some day I would like to go back and see just a portion of the places we went to back then.

Hahn is reopened...

Today it's used by low-cost-carrier airlines as an alternate airport to Frankfurt...

It's not so crowded, and you have a longer way to the cities...

Awesome post! Thank you for your service!

Hahn is special to our family. My father sat nuke alert in F-100's during the Cuban Missile crisis at Hahn...met my mother and started a family there too (older sister). He was in the 10th TFS. Small world. I have awesome memories of "wine tasting" Mosel River Valley wine from Stephen Port when we took a trip to Germany. Glad you got to reconnect with old friends...that's the best! Good news is that wine's still cheap...and really good!

Hahn is special to our family. My father sat nuke alert in F-100's during the Cuban Missile crisis at Hahn...met my mother and started a family there too (older sister). He was in the 10th TFS. Small world. I have awesome memories of "wine tasting" Mosel River Valley wine from Stephen Port when we took a trip to Germany. Glad you got to reconnect with old friends...that's the best! Good news is that wine's still cheap...and really good!
Your father was there the same time I was. On the day our Navy was blockading the Soviet ships outside Cuba, my launch crew was on duty in the blockhouse. It's scary to think that we were within 15 minutes of launching our nuclear missiles if we received the order. The 50th's F-100s were orbiting near the East German border, and the F-104s forward deployed from Spain sat idling in pairs at the end of the runway and could launch in seconds. The situation was really tense for days.

Spent lots of nights consuming Mosel wines when I lived in Traben-Trarbach. Had it delivered to the door like milk...fifty cents a litre. Top shelf stuff was seventy-five. Even helped pick grapes one year.

I spent alot of time hanging around in Traben-Trarbach eigther picking grapes,boat races or just hanging out at the glider airport. Loved the wine picking. After the grapes were mashed it was party time and then we were sent on our merry way with a arm load of bottles of Spatelasa wine for our help. Sure would love to have a bottle now.

This thread is really a bright spot, to hear you can reconnect with your military brother. I can't imagine how good that must feel to you both.

I got on facebook to stay connected with family on the other side of the country. Last year an old army buddy did the same thing to me. We called and talked to each other, and now we have found 29 others from our unit. Several of us had a reunion last year after 30 yrs. It was like we had never been apart. Our unit was CSC 1/14th Inf, 25th Inf Div Schofield Barracks Hawaii. I was there from 1980-1983...good times and great friends

-
Back