Recommend a cam and converter for 340

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to do some decent mods this coming spring. I just need some good recommendations on a cam and torque converter stall speed. It has an ignition bug that I will figure out but I'd like to get the parts out of the way. Stock smallblock 340 from a 68 barricuda. Edelbrock airgap intake with 650 holley carb. Rebuilt 904 transmission. Stock 3:55 gear rearend. I'd like the power low to midrange if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'll take a stab at it. I wouldn't go any bigger than a Comp Cams Extreme Energy 268H for a cam. I think that is what it is called. As far as a converter, I would say a stall of about 2500 would turn the trick. And buy a decent converter, not the cheap junk.

Jack

Any reason why you chose this combo? I'm not criticizing, just curious.

You said you wanted low to mid range power, that cam will give you more power with out destroying bottom end.

The 2500 stall would make it more Zippy when you get you foot into it at a stop light.

I'd go with the Lunati 60401 "voodoo" cam..and a converter with 2500-2800 stall speed..as for who to but from the "best" out there for my money is Ultimate Converter give Lenny a call he'll tell you exactely what to run..

I think any of the modern cams would do well. I like both the XE268 and the Voo Doo (Lunati lines but my preference for you would be the XE268. It requires less spring which means the heads dont have to come off where Lunati calls for dual springs. The Lunati is a little more aggerssive IMO and if you were having the heads done too, I'd go with the 60403 and run the dual springs.
For a convertor... I've had good luck with the Mancini Racing 22-2500 stall convertors. Cheap, and decent. Not a race unit but for a cruiser with a mild engine they would be fine. If you want a real deal, talk to Lenny and Ultimate.

After some rsearch it seems that the XE268 is the best bet. I can't seem to find the cam specs on it though. Anyone have a link via summitracing? Reason I'm looking at summit is because I'm purchasing other parts from them as well and have a discount code. Lastly, I was looking into getting lifters as well. Does it come with a kit? Any link would really help as I'm ready to purchase it.
I hate to be a pain, but I want to avoid any wrong parts :D

After some rsearch it seems that the XE268 is the best bet. I can't seem to find the cam specs on it though. Anyone have a link via summitracing? Reason I'm looking at summit is because I'm purchasing other parts from them as well and have a discount code. Lastly, I was looking into getting lifters as well. Does it come with a kit? Any link would really help as I'm ready to purchase it.
I hate to be a pain, but I want to avoid any wrong parts :D

www.summitracing.com

I like the purple cams. The 268 or even the 484-284 hydraulic.
Ive run both in a stock 340 with a 2400- 2600 coan 10 inch and 3.55 gears, same intake and 650 holly dbl pumper. This motor had 1.88 valve 360 heads too. Would have run alot better with X heads or those 308 castings. Stay with MOPAR. They are designed for our motors. :happy10::happy10:
Thanks

71 halloween Demon
72 Demon

I like the purple cams. The 268 or even the 484-284 hydraulic.
Ive run both in a stock 340 with a 2400- 2600 coan 10 inch and 3.55 gears, same intake and 650 holly dbl pumper. This motor had 1.88 valve 360 heads too. Would have run alot better with X heads or those 308 castings. Stay with MOPAR. They are designed for our motors. :happy10::happy10:
Thanks

71 halloween Demon
72 Demon
I was looking at purple cams. What do you think of this with a 2500 stall converter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...temQQimsxZ20100103?IMSfp=TL1001030010006r9253

The split lift/duration cams work. Also if you decide to buy roller rockers you can put 1.6 ratio on the exhaust side and get about .025 more lift. Im gonna try the 284-528 solid in my 71 street Demon. Its a 360 tho.

Also look at pn. 4452992. It is a low end beast with that 2500stall.:happy10:

The split lift/duration cams work. Also if you decide to buy roller rockers you can put 1.6 ratio on the exhaust side and get about .025 more lift. Im gonna try the 284-528 solid in my 71 street Demon. Its a 360 tho.

Also look at pn. 4452992. It is a low end beast with that 2500stall.:happy10:

If that's the case why is it advertised inoperating range 2k-6k rpm range? The one I posted is at 1500rpm. Not arguing, just asking :)

Stay with MOPAR. They are designed for our motors. :happy10::happy10:
Thanks

71 halloween Demon
72 Demon

Couldnt be farther from the truth actually. MP cams are designs based on tech from at latest the 80s. Plus, the low bid production flat out sucks. It would be nice but factory support for the old cars simply doesnt exist any more.

What are your performance goals? Do you have a specific ET in mind or is it just a cruiser?

Comp XE268 2250-2500 Stall. Thats what I run in my 70 Dart.
The stall is a 904 Mopar Performance model. Great combo for the street.

Couldnt be farther from the truth actually. MP cams are designs based on tech from at latest the 80s. Plus, the low bid production flat out sucks. It would be nice but factory support for the old cars simply doesnt exist any more.

I would kinda have to agree. I ran the .430 and the .450 cam in my stock 340 w/headers. Ran good but not much different between the two.
Then i stepped up to the .474/280 cam and that one was nice, lots more power.......that is with a 3000 stall thew (actual stall cam out to 2800 rpm)

The Voodoo and Extreme Energy cams have a much more modern and up to date design, but require higher spring pressure for there faster ramp speeds.

I am still running the MPP .474 cam but have a Voodoo cam that is just a little bit bigger that i will be trying.......If i don't go with a roller lifter on my next build...............

Just a cruiser with good power. Mainly good driveability. I can't seem to find that comp cam xe268 on the summit catolog.

Search it on line... Catalogs are for Chevy and Ford owners...lol. Part number CL-20-223-3 for cam and lifters, 901-16 springs, and you will probably need 8 stock 318 valve spring retainers to replace the larger rotators on your 360's exh valves. I can send them to you if you can't find any closer.

Stay with MOPAR. They are designed for our motors. :happy10::happy10:
The purple shaft cams are old and outdated designs,and should be left on the shelf..there are much better cams out there to choose from i ran 2 purple shafts in the past not impressed with the results..i've had GREAT success running the "voodoo" cams..

Search it on line... Catalogs are for Chevy and Ford owners...lol. Part number CL-20-223-3 for cam and lifters, 901-16 springs, and you will probably need 8 stock 318 valve spring retainers to replace the larger rotators on your 360's exh valves. I can send them to you if you can't find any closer.

Thanks dude. Is the lift high enough that I need to replace the springs?

-
Back