Recommend a horn for my dually?

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
The horn circuit on my '78 D300 crapped out a long time ago, and the P.O. installed a really lame ooh-gah horn and pushbutton instead. I'm restoring the horn circuit. Where can I get a horn similar to the stock one?

LOL. Back in the days of the limelight '70, I was "B.O.'ing" down the freeway mindin my own business when some hippie in a VeeDub, pot smoke flowin' freely from the windows, came piddlin' out an on ramp up ahead, wandered across 3 or 4 lanes of traffic on the San Diego freeway, and "landed" right in the left lane doin' about 50 mph.

I mashed on the Warner Brothers registered trademark mee--meep horn a few times until I realized this was having less than any effect.

So I went right down to one of my favorite shops and bought

(representative photo, not recommendative of brand or source)

Auto-Electric-Air-Horn-JB-1506-.jpg

and THOSE generally got some type of result, not always positive.

NOW the guy (friend of mine, George, K7WWA) who was the previous owner of my 70 RR, USED to have a 65 Chevelle when we first met at Treasure Island in '68. Now HE had a 400 watt AC inverter installed in the Chevelle, triggered through a solenoid hooked to the horn button. The inverter was "by default" plugged into a 120V AC submarine dive Klaxon!!!!

DIVE DIVE!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhgaaaaaa!!!!

A neighbor in AZ had a set of horns off of a locomotive. Not the horns that I have that are being pedaled as train horns but the real deal. He did have them on a truck but after several tickets he removed them. He blasted them for me once. A quick 2 second blast emptied a 15 gallon air tank. Ears were ringing for days.......I offered him $500 for them but he would not sell them....

Check out the Wolo horn line. They have a nice oem looking high note/low note replacement part. Two different part numbers,two different tones.

Use a train horn. I promise it will make the people around you pay way more attention than what they were.

"Check out the Wolo horn line." - Abodybomber

Thanks a lot, bomber! Great site. They sure do have a lot of different horns, and the prices are very reasonable!

-
Back