Recommend cold crank amps?

-
Duralast Gold. I see them come in 8 years and older. High rating from Consumer Reports also.

I like interstate, but I went to optima 8 years ago with the yellow one, I'm more than happy and it shows no signs yet of quitting, and its not leaking acid everywhere from over charging when they sit for weeks at a time.

If you don't mind interstate I go with Mopar from the dealer, made by interstate but look much better with the blue M. Retails for $125.00, dealer cost is $75.24 for 600 amp group 34 which fits most all older trays. Most dealers sell them on sale for $99.95 but find a dealer with someone that likes the old Mopars and maybe get a better deal. I run C-D-J-R parts dept and would sell for less for anyone with an old Mopar.

Still using my looks like the original Green caps battery , going on 9 years now , car starts no problem . Best battery I've ever had , think Mancini sells them . Think it is 640 amps .

There used to be 3 battery manufacturers in the US.. Delphi/(Delco), Exide, and Johnson Controls..

Johnson Controls bought Delphi in IIRC 2006,,

Johnson Controls also makes Optima Batteries..

All white cased batteries
,, no matter what name are made by Johnson Controls,, Interstate,, Walmart ,, boJangles,, whatever = Johnson Controls

All black cased batteries are made by Exide,, no matter the name on it...

This does not include Offshore white/black/pink batteries..

Google it,, I did..

cheers..

Exide sucks balls. We used to sell them when I was in the automotive section at a local KMart. I bet our return rate was close to 50%.

You must not have sold the 2 Exide Gel's in my cars :)
I bought them used for $35 each over 6-8 years ago.

What I haven't seen mentioned here much is that a gel battery will wake up your startermotor.
If you combine the gel-battery with a mini starter you've got an all new experience to starting your engine. Very un-Mopar like with the distinctive gearwhine :)

I like the Duralast. I bought it sooner than necessary dreaming that my driveway resto was going to progress much more rapidly than it has. It sat around alot. When it came time to start turning over the new rebuild, it cranked and cranked and cranked. Gave me a lot of playtime to sort out any starting issues without having to take battery-charger breaks.

Something to think about - when you move to the "gold" (or whatever) class for a particular battery. Look at some of the specs I pulled for a Duralast and Duralast Gold...same application: (34 DL vs 34 DLG)

Regular Gold

825 ca 1000
660 cca 800
115 reserve 105
37.51 lbs 38 lbs

Considerably more juice for just 1/2 pound more.

Then I found the 85DLG which comes really close to the spec of the regular battery above but 6 1/2 lbs lighter.

785 ca
625 cca
95 reserve
31.6 lbs

I went with the 34 DLG because it hit the sweet spot for power output vs weight. Most of the other batteries, even weaker ones, were heavier than the 34DLG. For a garaged car in a mild climate, I'd rock that 85.

Now, if they weren't so damn ugly. :angryfir:

You must not have sold the 2 Exide Gel's in my cars :)
I bought them used for $35 each over 6-8 years ago.

What I haven't seen mentioned here much is that a gel battery will wake up your startermotor.
If you combine the gel-battery with a mini starter you've got an all new experience to starting your engine. Very un-Mopar like with the distinctive gearwhine :)

I am talking STRICTLY lead acid types. The gel batteries are in a completely different league.

Anyone with half a brain knows you cannot compare the two. Or so I thought.

-
Back