Recommendations for primer(s)

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to mount the new quarters for my 65 Dart GoGo and would appreciate some recommendations on what brand or type of primer to put on them before I do. This is my first restoration project, so just assume I know nothing. I did do some motorcycle painting some years ago, but that was with lacquer or acrylic enamel. My plan is to use weld-through aerosol primer anyplace I’m welding (I’ve done this one the floor pans, trunk, sub-frame section, etc.) but everywhere else it seems like the consensus is to use an epoxy primer base, then lay urethane over it. I want to paint the insides of the panels to protect them from future corrosion and plan to lay undercoating in the same pattern the factory did. When everything is coated I’ll weld the quarter panels to the body. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m not trying to build a concours show winner (I lack the skills or patience for that) but would like to do a good job. The car will be driven. Some photos of the first test-fit of the driver’s side quarter pictures are attached. Thanks!

13BACD8B-3BC8-48E4-A6CC-A77AD100007E.jpeg

4EBCCB5B-0827-43A7-BE78-3CE16473D490.jpeg

C94D97EC-2853-4B71-8E2F-1BE5FC895B4C.jpeg

B204CD44-B740-4850-B738-1D35D4F90B81.jpeg

SPI has top notch epoxy primer, high build primers, and clear coat. I've used the SPI Universal Clear on several projects, and it lays down good...and looks a mile deep! I love their primers, and it's all I've used on my projects for years. Also, you couldn't ask for better tech support if you need it.

Automotive Refinishing | United States | Southern Polyurethanes

SPI has top notch epoxy primer, high build primers, and clear coat. I've used the SPI Universal Clear on several projects, and it lays down good...and looks a mile deep! I love their primers, and it's all I've used on my projects for years. Also, you couldn't ask for better tech support if you need it.

Automotive Refinishing | United States | Southern Polyurethanes
I personally like a CCI primer but a lot of folks like Federal. Oops wrong thread! Hah! There are a lot of folks on here that have actual intelligence and experience vs my barn painting twenty foot paint jobs. I went high build base/clear

Your going to want an epoxy primer as a base. I like Nason epoxy primer, good stuff. www.thecoatingstore.com has good paints and primers. Also check out TCPglobal. TCP Global Corporation - Quality & Service Since 1974
Run away from eastwood low VOC epoxy. Stuff is absolute crap. Its lays down fine and looks ok but it does not cure like a 2 part paint should. You can mix it up in a cup, leave it and it will never cure. Something is wrong with that picture. The catalyst seems to have little effect on it.

I agree with Southern Polyurethanes. Be aware their epoxy requires 24 hrs of above 60 degrees to cure. SPi costs a little more than TCP, but I use a lot of their stuff too and like it. Used PPG first line of epoxy years back, great stuff but I can not even stand to smell it.
I agree SPI have great tech help and info.

I personally like a CCI primer but a lot of folks like Federal. Oops wrong thread! Hah! There are a lot of folks on here that have actual intelligence and experience vs my barn painting twenty foot paint jobs. I went high build base/clear
CCI's are harder than Federals, but I refuse to use Remingtons. Oops, replied to wrong thread! LOL!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. Lots of good stuff here that I can use.

-
Back