Recommendations for small block roller rockers

-

xring

Reaction score
I was hoping to score some good, cheap roller rockers at Carlisle (I don't ask for much!) but it wasn't to be.

So if I end up buying new parts, any experience with the Hughes Engines rockers; or the Comp Cams Pro Magnums? They are about the same price.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about the hughes or better yet harland sharp.
I was gonna get a set of ohio rollers but the quit making them..

sux cause I've been street'n'em for a while, they rule.

I been using Hughes for a while and seem pretty good, Harland sharps are pretty good too, both sets on a roller cam set ups

I have the comp pro magnums on mine and my friend also runs them on his charger. they come with a lifetime guarantee against defects so thats a good piece of mind. also you can use the standard ball/ball pushrods.

Down side with Harlands - if you can call it a negative - is that you need their shafts - different diameter I believe..

Didn't know that I could use ball/ball pushrods with the Pro Magnums. I heard they are cheaper than (custom length) ball/cup pushrods.

Talked to a vendor at Carlisle that had some "no name" rockers that looked nice, but...just a little worried about quality control. They were stainless with bushings; also could use ball/ball pushrods...maybe a direct knockoff of the Comp rockers. He said they were made in New Zealand (maybe?).

I'm pretty evenly split between the Comps and Hughes.

Thanks.

Comp pro magnums here too very happy with them..not cheap though $400.00+ but worth the money spent...

I forget...what type (flat tappet or roller) & size cam are you going to be running? The reason I ask is some of these don't work well with roller cam spring pressures. If you're staying flat tappet, you would be fine with either.

I use the Comp pro mag's on my junk with Hughes banana groove shafts and ball/cup style Smith Brothers push rods. The rockers are on their second engine, 8 years of service with no issues (most of that time was with flat tappet cams of various sizes).

Haven't settled on a cam yet, but will probably be a small cam; less than .575 lift, somewhere around 250* @ .050, mechanical flat tappet. I'd love to have a mech roller but the lifters are soooooo expensive.

What cam are you running, flyfish? 7.15...DANG!!!!

Ball and cup is the way for me cause I like having oil up top as to not burn out the cup'd adjusters that you would have to run with the ball style.

The cup holds oil at the adjuster/rocker.
The ball doesn't and though the lifter holds oil at 1 end, the adjuster doesn't, so the other end gets burnt.

I run a small solid roller, 248/254 duration with .576/.582 lift. As soon as I can get the time to do some tuning on my motor the 1/8 mile times should drop into the high 6.90's or 7.0's....problem is, the last 2 races I went to, I said I was going to do some tuning....but the car was sooooo consistent that I couldn't bring myself to mess with it. I made 7 passes one race with the largest deviation being 3 thousandths (e.g. 7.176-7.173). Both races I made it to the quarter finals.:toothy10:

also pro magnums are pressure fed through the cup to constantly oil the pushrod. go to comps website and check it out.

I run a small solid roller, 248/254 duration with .576/.582 lift. As soon as I can get the time to do some tuning on my motor the 1/8 mile times should drop into the high 6.90's or 7.0's....problem is, the last 2 races I went to, I said I was going to do some tuning....but the car was sooooo consistent that I couldn't bring myself to mess with it. I made 7 passes one race with the largest deviation being 3 thousandths (e.g. 7.176-7.173). Both races I made it to the quarter finals.:toothy10:

Flyfish;
Do you have any numbers for the 1/4 mile. Some good numbers for a streetable ride. Very nice.

Terry

-
Back