Recommended engine book?

-

64dartwagon

Walking in Circles
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommended engine book? I picked up a 360 and I want a book that covers all the little stuff like specs, torque, and what and where to look for issues. Not looking to turn it into a stroker, but if the costs to rebuild the 360 get up there and are close then I'll have to twist my own arm and go that route.

I have these two. Both are written by the same guy. The black one seems to be very thorough and he tells you the things you may want to know ahead of time that you wouldn't learn until after your first build to make it easier.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PIAZOS/?tag=joeychgo-20
Both are worth the money i think
I highly recommend the above book; it's what I used to help build my 408. Very thorough with useful tips, it does not discuss much (if any) about strokers.

I have about 5 Mopar engine books and this is the only one that I would recommend. Also, I recommend a different source. Amazon.com is great but the link above is from a different company who uses Amazon.com site for sales.

I would also like to get a book on building a small-block, do you know of any newer books that cover the Magnum engines? I have How to build high performance Chrysler Engines, but I want something more specific and in-depth.

dont buy the mopar performence small block book all it talks about is mopar parts it doesnt mentions anything about any thing aftermarket

I highly recommend the above book; it's what I used to help build my 408. Very thorough with useful tips, it does not discuss much (if any) about strokers.

I have about 5 Mopar engine books and this is the only one that I would recommend. Also, I recommend a different source. Amazon.com is great but the link above is from a different company who uses Amazon.com site for sales.

Agree with this book. Very thorough book,with lots of pics.

The "How to rebuild your small block MoPar" by SA Design is what your after. The Hot Rod book is also good.

I have these two. Both are written by the same guy. The black one seems to be very thorough and he tells you the things you may want to know ahead of time that you wouldn't learn until after your first build to make it easier.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PIAZOS/?tag=joeychgo-20
The blue one has a lot of good info on creating the combo of parts you want for how you want your engine to run.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B8AJNI/?tag=joeychgo-20

Both are worth the money i think

i have both. they each have interesting ideas and ways to do things. the first one is for more stock rebuilds. the second book talks more about different aftermarket items and how to approach a hp build.

I have the book written by Larry Shepard and while it's ok as Moparkid340 said it doesn't say squat about any performance part except Mopar parts and there are alot more offerings than just Mopar parts. I'm not knocking them by any means, just saying there are alot more options.

I have a book written by Jim Szilagyi that's mainly geared toward building strokers but it also has a lot of good info about stock and other performance parts too. It's called How to Build Big-Inch Mopar small blocks. I found it on E-bay for about $20 shipped.

How to Build Big-Inch Mopar small blocks.

I bought 2 different books before starting the rebuild on my 340. This is a must read for a stock or performance build. Many good tips that work on both.

Now if you have not bought any parts or started to recondition the 360, buy a stroker kit if you need to or plan on, turning the crank, reconditioning the rods & buy oversized pistons. If the heads need reworked, buy some edelbrocks instead

You will be money ahead................LOL

How to Build Big-Inch Mopar small blocks.

If the heads need reworked, buy some edelbrocks instead

You will be money ahead................LOL

That's the same conclusion I came to.

Good book but "How to rebuild your small block MoPar" by SA Design (copy/paste Rumble) is more thorough and overall better for a non-stroker application.

Another recommendation: go to Barnes and Noble and check out these books if they have any of them. I always go to actual store to check out books before buying, 'can't read certain writing styles well...

Mopar's small block A engines.
How to hot rod small block mopar engies. Buy Larry Shepard, HP Books
How to rebuild small block mopar engines. buy Don Taylor
and
Larry Hofer, HP Books
Are the three I use. The how to rebuild one I find to be the most useful.

I have pretty much ordered just about any and all of them I could find. At least it will add to the library of stuff I have. And you always find extra stuff in one or another book.

-
Back