recommended spark plug gap

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
68' 340 with converted electrical distributor. Mild agressive cam with stock heads. I was thinking .035? I'm using regular champion copper plugs.

I would stick with .035, which is the factory spec, unless you make further upgrades to the ignition (MSD, Jacobs, etc.)

Lastly, Any recommendations for Ignition wires? I have Accel 300+ but they're in need of replacement. I think MSD wires are overkill and my ignition system is basically stock. I do have Summit headers and it's in a 71' Duster.

On spark plug wires, theres no such thing as overkill except in thickness. Heres why;

A spark plug may only require XXXXXX amount of energy to jump the gap. When it does, that amount of energy, the spark that jumps the gap is seen. It's just a little thing. BUT, what if you could increase the size of the spark?

The result is more power because the air and fuel burn more completely due to a larger cernal of energy making more contact with the air and fuel.

Even with stock systems will bennifit with a larger spark cernal. The simplest way to do this is through cables that allow all the engergy (Or as much as possible) down to the plug gap. Spark plug wires carry the energy. Why not all of it?

The OE and most repalcement cables have 2 strikes against them. First, there small in diameter. Second, the wires have alot of resistance in them. If the wires are too small and actually slow down the energy to the plug, then the plug can't be getting it all.

If you can increase energy to the plugs, you can open the gap wider for more power and complete air and fuel burn. Or as much as possible to get the most from your gallon.

Thicker wires not only provide more cable to carry the energy, but also insulte energy leakage. The lower the ohms per foot the cable has, the better. Nothing or as little as possible is the target. (Resistance)

At present, I know only 2 wires with very low resistance. Jacobs and MSD wires. They have the lowest ohms per foot and 8mm in thickness.

Do not short sell this and say, "My system is stock, those are overkill." That IS hogwash!

I have a MSD wire cutter and crimper and allways custom cut the wires. It is very easy to do and the end result is a great , neat look.

MSD HELI Coil wires are very good to use. They have radio supresion so your tunes sound like they should.

-
Back