Recovering a Seat

-
Awesome. I prefer the vinyl though. Won't have to be as paranoid about stains.

Im taking upholstery now in school. $400 is pretty steep just for new vinyl. But it also depends if you want it looking stock or custom. I recovered this seat in class the other day. I think it's from a 90's ford but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• image-1455563288.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
Worst case senerio.. Customer brings in a seat that looks like a bomb went off in the drivers area. I'll have to go to my bone pile and find some springs to replace 2 or 3 broken. rebuild the filler or even worse the owner has striped the core down to bare frame so I have to build filler from scratch. If I can't get a matching reproduction skin I'll have to order material and make the skin. Wait, I just noticed the back frame is warped and doesn't sit up square, or maybe there's a small crack in the base frame. Either way I've got to carry it to the body shop 2 doors down and get it fixed.
So yeah, not knowing what I'm starting with and knowing what I've seen before,
I would estimate as much as 400.00

Im taking upholstery now in school. $400 is pretty steep just for new vinyl. But it also depends if you want it looking stock or custom. I recovered this seat in class the other day. I think it's from a 90's ford but I'm not sure.

Looks good man. Out of curiosity, what would cost less? Stock or custom?

@Redfish: Yeah, it seemed about right to me, but I haven't had much experience with upholsterers, so I wanted to be sure.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your expertise though!

Stock should cost less to recover because they can just copy the original pattern. It also depends if you want vinyl or leather. Of corse leather is more expensive.

-
Back