Red light on speedometer

-

jonny d

1973 Plymouth Duster 318
Reaction score
Last night I was driving and a red light came on above the 60 mph line, at the top of the speedometer. Nothing seems wrong, but I've only had the car for 10 days. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Jon

high beam light?

No, no no.

Some vehicles, especially those sold to questionable drivers, such as youngsters with complicated driving records, large edits on their insurance, and who had Fathers which were on certain calming medication, were ordered with the optional equipment known as "firewall abatement."

This consisted of heavier, progressive springs on the throttle, special dealer adjustments on the throttle to prevent WFO operation, and the mentioned warning light in the dash. Also, special equipment was installed in a special lockbox in the trunk area. This box was analogous to the "black box" in an aircraft, except it also contained a special printer mechanism based on WWII surplus model 15 RTTY teleprinter parts. This device would print the appropriate speeding ticket if the red warning lamp stayed on for more than a few seconds, would actually post these tickets into envelopes.

Not many people know of this little known option, but fathers of the child sure did. At certain service operations, such as replacing broken transmissions, U joints, or axle parts, or at other maintenance such as oil changes, the mechanic would extract the printed material and drop it off to the mailbox.

No, no no.

Some vehicles, especially those sold to questionable drivers, such as youngsters with complicated driving records, large edits on their insurance, and who had Fathers which were on certain calming medication, were ordered with the optional equipment known as "firewall abatement."

This consisted of heavier, progressive springs on the throttle, special dealer adjustments on the throttle to prevent WFO operation, and the mentioned warning light in the dash. Also, special equipment was installed in a special lockbox in the trunk area. This box was analogous to the "black box" in an aircraft, except it also contained a special printer mechanism based on WWII surplus model 15 RTTY teleprinter parts. This device would print the appropriate speeding ticket if the red warning lamp stayed on for more than a few seconds, would actually post these tickets into envelopes.

Not many people know of this little known option, but fathers of the child sure did. At certain service operations, such as replacing broken transmissions, U joints, or axle parts, or at other maintenance such as oil changes, the mechanic would extract the printed material and drop it off to the mailbox.

as detailed as that was i cant believe that...

I am not sure about the explanation above... (very creative) I have noticed on my 66 that the high beam light comes on sometimes during low beam operation. I believe this is due to a grounding problem in the instrument cluster. I have not had the time to pursue this yet, but it may explain the light coming on.

I am not sure about the explanation above... (very creative) :sign2: I have noticed on my 66 that the high beam light comes on sometimes during low beam operation. I believe this is due to a grounding problem in the instrument cluster. I have not had the time to pursue this yet, but it may explain the light coming on.
For me at least for now untill I fix my cluster the Red high beam lite is the ONLY lite that works in my dash, I drive using the tach for a speedo really sucks, of course I guess I could just not drive in the dark and it wouldn't matter....

No, no no.

Another totally useless answer. Why don't you transfer to a Chevy forum?

Another totally useless answer. Why don't you transfer to a Chevy forum?

I thought it was a funny answer to a question I guess I figured EVERY DRIVER SHOULD KNOW

Why don't you...................................

Why don't I what?. He asked a question, didn't know the car. And you want to make a lame joke. Nice work, you just trying to bump up ?

Ya, come on. I got a chuckle out of 67's reply too. Being as it looks like the OP has a 73 Duster, could the red light be part of a Fuel Pacer/keep it at 55mph-type economy option?

I figure there were like 7 attempts at accurately and legitimately answering what the light was for. There should be one or two half *** astronaut answers.

I am guessing high beam indicator but hve never seen that particular car...

how does that saying go now? something about
____ ___ if you cant take a joke

oh yea that red light is an ignition over advance warning light
what you need to do is pull over open the hood and blow on the distributer for a little while until it cools down

or possibly a high beam light

Thanks troops!
I loved 67Dart's answer. It reminded me of this book idea my friends and I are working on. It's totally made up **** that is presented as fact. Most of them seem possible at first, then you think about it- Hey, Seagulls DO fly on Wednesdays! Dale Earnhardt did NOT collect rare bug specimens.
That kinda thing.
Need a gig, Dart?
I think it is an engine warning light, as it took me a while to even find the high beam switch ( on the floor to the left of the brake)

Rebirth of a dead thread...Zombified thread!
I too was wondering what that light was, it's orange on my dash (probably due to age) and yes, it's the high beam indicator, the fluid was low.

Is the high beam indicator red on all years, or did it change to blue, and if so what year did it change?

Thanks,

Jeff

The standardization of high beam indicators started some time in the eighties and changed to a blue light resembling a headlamp in order to reduce confusion with warning lamps.
Various auto manufacturers and vehicle models changed over at different times

Its a shift light....Oops, another sarcastic answer....

For the conspiracy crowd, My Dad's Riviera DID have a knob that you could set to buzz past a certain MPH.

With a dir
Its a shift light....Oops, another sarcastic answer....

For the conspiracy crowd, My Dad's Riviera DID have a knob that you could set to buzz past a certain MPH.
With a direct satellite uplink to the Pentagon to keep an eye on those law breaking commy reds

-
Back